UKC

Last year's resolutions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Have you kept yours from last year ?  

Have you something in mind for 2019 ? 

TWS

Baron Weasel 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

I said I was going to start climbing again following 5 years off (my excuse is arrival of 1st child then foot issue requiring surgery). 

Anyway, it's going well. Managed a 15m grade III/IV icefall as 1st climb during beast from the east. Got rock shoes on about a month later and had some good days out and started going down the wall regularly a couple of months ago and beginning to feel a benefit from it.

Just bought new winter boots and mountaineering bag and now I'm hoping for it to turn super cold!

In reply to Baron Weasel:

> I said I was going to start climbing again following 5 years off (my excuse is arrival of 1st child then foot issue requiring surgery). 

I'm looking to start climbing again after several failed attempts at restarting in the past few years.

That shouldn't be a hard one to do personally.

I'm also thinking of making myself meditate at least once every day without fail and keeping a diary of my progress.  My last regular practice got me to 20 minutes at a time.  I got sidetracked after buying my house.  And I've only done the occasional session on and off over the last 2 years.

I'd like something more substantial that those two though.  I'll have to give it some more thought before new year.

Ridge 05 Dec 2018

Last years resolution was to get back running. A few blips but I'm going into 2019 a lot fitter than at the start of 2018.

In reply to Ridge:

> Last years resolution was to get back running. A few blips but I'm going into 2019 a lot fitter than at the start of 2018.

Well done .

Baron Weasel 05 Dec 2018

> I'm looking to start climbing again after several failed attempts at restarting in the past few years.

What's the cause of failure mate? 

My first rock climb after 5 years was brilliant and I fell head over heels in love with climbing again like I did when I first tried it as a teenager. It was just a few hours bouldering with a couple of mates and that was all it took. Now going down the wall is the highlight of my week and I'm finding myself devising training strategies such as the other week I decided to climb an easy but long route 5 times to boost the volume of climbing... and it's paying off both in terms of my climbing and my general well being and mental health (I'm between a rock and a hard place with my work situation at the moment, but hi ho I've got a plan and the long game is usually the best one to play).

The other thing that has also helped getting back into climbing is having some awesome mates to climb with. I climbed since I was a teenager with my best mate, but following a bad fall more than a decade ago his love of climbing has dwindled and he needs to be pushed to go out and would prefer to go paddle boarding these days. I realised that I needed new people to climb with an actively pursued several really cool people to climb with and now a few of us go to the wall and share belayers, encourage each other, take the piss, have a laugh then go for a couple of beers.

If you are ever in the Lakes Wild Scallion and want to climb send me message!

In reply to Baron Weasel:

> What's the cause of failure mate? 

Either me being on a downer with mental health issues and cutting myself off from the world thinking everyone hates me , and other instances of getting an unreliable partner when I did again start again last year.  So I gave up.

> My first rock climb after 5 years was brilliant and I fell head over heels in love with climbing again like I did when I first tried it as a teenager. It was just a few hours bouldering with a couple of mates and that was all it took. Now going down the wall is the highlight of my week and I'm finding myself devising training strategies such as the other week I decided to climb an easy but long route 5 times to boost the volume of climbing... and it's paying off both in terms of my climbing and my general well being and mental health (I'm between a rock and a hard place with my work situation at the moment, but hi ho I've got a plan and the long game is usually the best one to play).

Sounds a great strategy 

> The other thing that has also helped getting back into climbing is having some awesome mates to climb with. I climbed since I was a teenager with my best mate, but following a bad fall more than a decade ago his love of climbing has dwindled and he needs to be pushed to go out and would prefer to go paddle boarding these days. I realised that I needed new people to climb with an actively pursued several really cool people to climb with and now a few of us go to the wall and share belayers, encourage each other, take the piss, have a laugh then go for a couple of beers.

Yes I miss those sorts of interactions.   I use to climb 4 or 5 days a week back in the day.

> If you are ever in the Lakes Wild Scallion and want to climb send me message!

Thanks

I'll certainly try to ,  I need an excuse to get myself out to the lakes .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...