UKC

Scotland - midges in summer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 07 Dec 2018

Is there anywhere in Scotland that is not midge-plagued in summer? What about the Outer Hebrides, or Shetland or Orkney?

subtle 07 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

East coast generally is best for less midge's - try Methil

CurlyStevo 07 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Edinbugh!

Seriously though April and early May are normally fine. throughout most of Scotland and the weather is very often settled around this time.

Also midgies don't like sunshine or wind above 5 mph and won't bother you for the most part during these conditions. The main issue even in peak midge season is very still overcast days with high humidity and / or approx 5pm through to 10 am but worse at sunset. 

How much of an issue this is for you even on midgy days partly depends on yr activity but belaying is especially a problem whilst walking and cycling much less so (until you stop).

If you intend to climb and it looks potentially midgy take repellent and a midge net.

It's a good idea to plan to be indoors for your evening meal or atleast eating in a tent (and cooking there too if you can)

They can also be less of an issue very close to the sea, although if there is a lot of moorland closeby it won't make much difference.

East Scotland is much less of a problem than west too and the midge season will often start several weeks later than on the west coast. Cairngorms in general are not as bad as Lochaber for example. They do also tend to be a little bit less of an issue higher up until mid midge season.

I very often find they are only mildly annoying and it wouldn't stop be getting outside. I remember a trip to the NW about 6 years go during mid June and we barely saw a midge the whole week camping. But the wind was very consistently about 10 mph.

Post edited at 15:26
 Robert Durran 07 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Open short cropped coastal areas.  Of the best climbing areas, I would recommend Reiff, west coast of Lewis and Yesnaby on Orkney as good bets. Midges are still certainly probable if there is no breeze, but I've never had midges too bad at these places.

Edit: Also Sheigra

Post edited at 15:33
 Joak 07 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

After surviving coordinated attacks from squadrons of aggressive clegs during last summer's heatwave, I now view the highland midge in a slightly friendlier light.      

timparkin 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Joak:

We live in Ballachulish and experienced the hell that is swarming clegs at the back of Beinn a Beithir this year. My god, give me midges any day!!

p.s. I only got bitten once this year so it all depends. Mostly I wouldn't sweat it unless you're camping in which case it's a matter of get in the tent early and stay in (pee bottles essential)

Post edited at 16:17
 Jenny C 07 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Someone told me Shetland was to far north for midges.

Removed User 07 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Lismore. The terrain is limestone without the acidic boglands in which midges thrive.

pasbury 07 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I think Rockall is not too bad but that’s only ‘coz there’s a fairly constant breeze.

OP BusyLizzie 07 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thank you all, there is lots here to ponder...

aln 07 Dec 2018
In reply to subtle:

> - try Methil

Dear God no! You shouldn't joke about that, the OP might take you seriously.

OP BusyLizzie 09 Dec 2018
In reply to aln:

> > - try Methil

> Dear God no! You shouldn't joke about that, the OP might take you seriously.

Thanks both

BnB 09 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Midges will not bite in an easterly, of any velocity. Strange but true. And the best weather comes hand in hand with an east wind. Unfortunately you’ll need to stay flexible and leave the booking until the last minute to grab the right conditions.

Offwidth 10 Dec 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

I've had problems at Reiff and even worse at the local camping. Mind you I've been there when it was just about the only place in Scotland it wasn't raining that day, according to the weather report.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...