UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Ascending Afghanistan: Rising Women

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Dec 2018
Following our interview with Hanifa Yousoufi - the first Afghan woman to summit Noshaq, Afghanistan's highest mountain - tonight's Friday Night Video documents the journey of group of Afghan women who aim to make history as the first women in their country to summit Mir Samir, led and supported by US non-profit Ascend: Leadership Through Athletics.

Read more
 stp 07 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Good and well made video. Good to see climbing mixed up with politics. Great attitude of: f*ck you all, we're going climbing. Incredibly courageous women. I thought magnitude was well summed up by the comment:

"the society at large feels threatened by what these girls are doing".

Gotta say I was a bit shocked when Mt Samir finally came into the picture. Very impressive peak and yeah a rather over-ambitious goal given their complete lack of climbing skills.

I wonder what impact it will have had and if the fact the video is online will threaten their safety.

olddirtydoggy 08 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC News:

There's a good deal of this gender stuff appearing on the site lately I've been quite uncomfortable with, I genuinely don't feel the need to bring this toxic material into a sport thats generally comfortable with the roles of men, women and race. This however is a much different story when you see these women fighting a dark age of womens rights. Great to see these women fighting for real equality. One of the best vids we've had on here and good for them!

Rad 09 Dec 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

If the "gender stuff" is making you uncomfortable then you're probably part of the male-dominated power structure it's designed to challenge. The Taliban views on women may seem foreign, but women are being abused, objectified, paid less, and disrespected every day in our countries as well (says the guy whose Prez copped to grabbing them by the p@$$^).

It's time for a change.  UKC, keep it coming! 

purkle 09 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC News:

UKC, thanks so much for posting this incredible film. I was genuinely surprised to see such a serious & political film here and it is absolutely needed and appreciated. What an incredible piece of human endeavour.

Blanche DuBois 09 Dec 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> There's a good deal of this gender stuff appearing on the site lately I've been quite uncomfortable with

Poor you   

olddirtydoggy 09 Dec 2018
In reply to Rad:

Funny, my wife agreeds with me.

Si dH 09 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Powerful stuff at times. I  hope the experience has changed their lives for the better in some way.  It's good to see the organisation has carried on and had further success with Hanifa (and presumably others) this year. 

Post edited at 09:53
In reply to stp:

The mullah, 25 minutes in, is definitely not helping their confidence, is he?

In reply to UKC News:

This is a great story about an important breakthrough for Afghan women climbers, but it occupies 2 of the 5 headline stories on UKC - is this an appropriate level of coverage for an ascent of a well frequented summit? 

Post edited at 21:20
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Perhaps the summit reached is more than a physical one..

Lloydfletch 10 Dec 2018
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

It's not necessarily a 'breaking news' style feature is it. More a read the interview, now see the film thing. I'm glad ukc does more than just cover the most recent top level ascents and 2 of 5 is hardly excessive (especially compared to the 2 competitions that appear on my homepage!).

manwithacam 11 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC News:

inspiring, at times saddening and challenging film. Lucky me living in this country. 

Wicamoi 10 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

One of the most engaging films I've seen on this website.

The old man of the mountain village sang: "The bird in love with the stolen flower is singing." He did not intend to relate this line to the climbers, but it seems to me that it captures their situation perfectly.

As one in love with a flower that was never stolen from me, I learnt a lot from this film. Thanks for posting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...