UKC

Bad films you sat throug out of duty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 10 Dec 2018

What films have you watched, knowing they were bad but you persevered just to see how bad they would get?

I sat through The Brothers Grimsby a few days ago and it was like witnessing a slow train crash where I could not turn away till the end credits.

In reply to The Lemming:

Why couldn't you turn away – and just walk out?

OP The Lemming 10 Dec 2018
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

It was a slow train crash and I wanted to see how bad it could get.

In reply to The Lemming:

Oh, sorry, I missed the bit in the OP about persevering. It's very rare I walk out. Actually, I don't think I've ever walked out of a movie, only one of those live relays from the National Theatre (Shaw: Man and Superman - absolutely dire beyond description). That came about a fortnight after seeing them doing King Lear incredibly badly ... and there can be few theatrical experiences more execrable than seeing King Lear done badly ...

Post edited at 14:45
 LastBoyScout 10 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Blair Witch Project - I was with my sisters and some other friends who wanted to watch to the end.

Spent 3/4 of the film wanting to slap the girl in the face - and it's not often I feel like that about anyone!

McHeath 10 Dec 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Blair Witch Project.

> Spent 3/4 of the film wanting to slap the girl in the face - and it's not often I feel like that about anyone!

Yes! They kept crossing that stream - why did nobody think of simply following it downhill to at least get away from the area?!

krikoman 10 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I've never walked out on a film, and I've seen some proper shite.

Zero Population Growth and The Blob, spring to mind. I don't know why I stayed, it might be because I'm a tight arse and needed to get my monies worth.

In reply to krikoman:

> I've never walked out on a film, and I've seen some proper shite.

I've walked out on a couple of cinema films, one notably The Pelican Brief.  I got to about the point where they were going to explain the plot and I simply did not care and walked out.

Ian65 10 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I watched Hangman (2017) last night. Al Pacino stars and I'd watched the Godfather trilogy over the past few days so was wanting to see Mr Pacino do more of his thing.

BUT, Hangman is a truly awful film in every respect, and he is terrible. Yet I kept watching, hoping it would improve: a triumph of hope over experience on my part I guess.

NaCl 10 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I normally quite partial to a good bad film (The Killer Shrew anyone?)  but that's clearly not what you're talking about.  Recently I've stoicly sat there whilst Warner Bros shat on my childhood and wished I was sitting at home pushing nails into my eyes. 

nathan79 10 Dec 2018
In reply to NaCl:

I am Legend. I don't know why I ever started watching it but persevered as I like the original story and earlier film versions. I will admit to watching a good portion if it at double speed just to get through it quicker.

Robert Durran 10 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Bladerunner. What a load of bollocks. I only watched to the end because the DVD was a present and I sort of felt I ought to.

RX-78 10 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Mamma Mia 2, need I say more?

In reply to The Lemming:

Bill & Teds Bogus Journey 

In reply to RX-78:

> Mamma Mia 2, need I say more?

Did you watch the first one?

Personally I have not invested any time in either and I don't think I ever will.

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Bill & Teds Bogus Journey 

Not cool bro.

Bogus

angry pirate 10 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Shortly before eldest was born, my heavily pregnant other half and I went out for New Year's: a meal followed by the cinema. We went to see Australia (a film for people who thought Titanic wasn't long enough and had too much plot). I spied a bar on the way in and lasted all of half an hour before I was desperate to retire for a pint. I stuck it out purely out of duty only to mention how much I wanted to walk out as we left. Her reply "you should have left, I'd have come with you" Gah!

Blue Straggler 10 Dec 2018
In reply to NaCl:

> I normally quite partial to a good bad film (The Killer Shrew anyone?) 

Have you ever played the "The Killer Shrews" drinking game?

In reply to The Lemming:

> What films have you watched, knowing they were bad but you persevered just to see how bad they would get?

Plenty. 
I will never walk out of a cinema screening, so I have sat through some pretty bad stuff. A few random examples:
The 2014 Robocop
Chocolat (Juliette Binoche etc)
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Silence (the Martin Scorsese  thing)
Just last night, Mortal Engines (I did consider a walkout in the first 45 minutes, actually the film did pick up slightly - which is why I never walk out)
Lucky Number Slevin

Away from the cinema, where it could be more reasonable to just hit "stop", I'm still quite persistent on the grounds that if it is something I chose to watch, then I need to punish myself for bad choices so I'll remember better for next time. 

Weirdly struggling to think of examples beyond Four Horsemen (this stupid Dennis Quaid serial killer movie) even though there must be loads

In reply to The Lemming:

I don't understand the thread title. What do you mean "duty"? Do you mean someone was compelling you to watch it (e.g. when an ex girlfriend made me sit through Love, Actually?)

Your OP conflicts with the thread title as you write there about choosing to see just how bad they get. 

NaCl 11 Dec 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

No indeed not but I am intrigued by the sounds of it. I'll have a go over Christmas if you'll enlighten me. 

Fecking love that film. Truly funny in an unintentional way

Ah just occurred to me: have a drink each time they do? I reckon you'd be ruined by the end. ..

Blue Straggler 11 Dec 2018
In reply to NaCl:

> Ah just occurred to me: have a drink each time they do? I reckon you'd be ruined by the end. ..

Yes it is quite a simple game. Every time

something happens in that film, at least one character takes a swig of something. It’s really noticeable . Probably distracts from the fact that the shews are just dogs with bath mats draped on them, and seem quite happy and friendly rather than “killer”

The inverted tin bathtub escape is genius

Trangia 11 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Snakes on a plane

Gone for good 11 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Both Mama Mia films were truly awful. I cringed my way through both of them. I can't say the Last Showman was much better. Really really bad.

In reply to Gone for good:

Back in 1988, I treated my self to not watching Four Weddings and a Funeral.

It was wonderful, so good that I have treated myself many many times since.

Often, I only discover my pleasure after the event and it is still as enjoyable.

There is a film called Mamma Mia and I missed it, great.

coinneach 11 Dec 2018
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Sophie’s Choice

An Officer and a Gentleman

( in Italian, in Italy )

steveriley 11 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I once walked out of North by Northwest. A few years later I realised I'd been an idiot.

OP The Lemming 11 Dec 2018
In reply to steveriley:

Did you forget the mag to grid, get rid?

RX-78 11 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes, the 2nd is worse. My wife and daughter love the songs and the cheesy movies.

In reply to The Lemming:

It's got to be Sharknado 3 for me - magnificent piece of trash. 

In reply to Gone for good:

> Both Mama Mia films were truly awful. I cringed my way through both of them. I can't say the Last Showman was much better. Really really bad.

I'd quite like you to explain yourself further. Presumably you object to the rather harmless values they embody? ? You need to explain what you mean by 'bad' here, otherwise your comment really has no bite at all.

I ended up going to see mamma Mia 2. Expected to be bored beyond endurance. In fact it was ok, to my surprise. The cast looked like they were enjoying themselves and not taking the whole thing particularly seriously. Once I’d dropped the ‘i am going to hate this’ attitude, I actually found I enjoyed it...

In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Ditto to all you've said.

Mark Collins 11 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Bad Moms 2. Twice as terrible!

Gone for good 11 Dec 2018

No need to be so sniffy.  I'm not really a fan of musicals (apart from any with Julie Andrews who was an exceptional singer/actress). They seemed more like show cases for the actors, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth and Meryl Streep ....singing.....really? The films seemed to me to be more like a tick in the box for the actors rather than any natural conclusion to successful and impressive acting careers. This is of course only my opinion and I'm perfectly aware that plenty of other filmgoers enjoyed the films. 

Blue Straggler 11 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The Core probably “wins” this thread

Tom Valentine 12 Dec 2018

So you sat through "The Core" but only gave "I Saw the Light" ten minutes?

Blue Straggler 12 Dec 2018
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Context is everything, Tom V.

I actually took a punt on seeing The Core at the cinema and as mentioned upthread, I don’t walk out of films at the cinema. I knew it would be a bit rubbish but I was curious to see why such a high calibre cast had signed up for it

I Saw The Light was one of many choices on a long haul flight, I was sleepy and it was obvious that regardless of its quality, it was not going to engage me enough. I didn’t give up on it because it was out-and-out BAD but because it wasn’t the right film for the circumstance . And I am pretty sure that I spelled all that out when I wrote about it before . If you selectively remember only the bit where I gave it only ten minutes , that’s not my problem 

Hooo 12 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I sat through the whole of Judge Dread because I was with a friend who was an extra in the film. I paid close attention for the entire duration of this steaming pile of shite, but I never saw him. It turns out the scene he was in had been cut.

oldie 12 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Phantom Thread, Le quattro volte (The Four Times- no plot, seemed to be philosophical about a tree and the seasons).

Bulls Crack 12 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The big wall features in the Britrock Tour film...deeply dull

Dave Todd 12 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Not really 'duty' (as I knew what I was getting myself into) but I once 'watched' Warhol's 'Empire' in full. 8 hours and 5 mins.  Brighton Poly Art College, 1985ish.

Post edited at 23:13
 Offwidth 05 Jan 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Absolutely Fabulous (the movie). Even more dire than I expected from the reviews. The main entertainment was spotting as many of the celeb cameos as possible (double irony!?). Also a dangerous film to play the drinking game with (you will crave the drink to delete the memory). Although no particular fan of the TV show I enjoyed many of the episodes. The main actors were doing their usual stuff in the film and there were good ideas but the detailed writing was terrible. June Whitfield also appeared (one reason I watched it).

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/rip_june_whitfield-698135#x8915...

Must be a contender for Blue Straggler's list of the worst biggish movies of all time (see this thread).

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/culture_bunker/all_my_cinema_movie_scores...

Post edited at 19:29
Removed User 05 Jan 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Match Point. Could not beleive Woody Allen could make something so catastrophically bad-plot, dialogue, acting, all rubbish. Stuck it through to the end to see if it got any better. it didn't.

overdrawnboy 06 Jan 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Renaldo and Clara, managed about 3 hours of this as a dedicated Dylan fan before baling out for the pub, still wonder if the last 2 hours were any less turgid.

two_tapirs 06 Jan 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

The remake of Point Break.  It was a collection of well captured extreme sports surrounded by utter tosh that was the rest of the film.  I didn't hold the original to be a cinematic masterpiece or anything, but the remake, as it turns out, wasted a couple of hours for many people.  If it's on your list of films to watch, please don't.  

elliott92 06 Jan 2019

Lucky number slevin is an all time great. What is wrong with you! 

Blue Straggler 06 Jan 2019
In reply to elliott92:

> Lucky number slevin is an all time great. What is wrong with you! 

My problem was there was no reason to be on Slevin’s side and he murdered that innocent son just to get one step closer to his selfish revenge thing.

In reply to The Lemming:

… all three Star Wars prequels... as someone who grew up with the original films, I felt a sense of utter disbelief that someone allowed George Lucas to make and then release these abominations...

Post edited at 11:55
 MonkeyPuzzle 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Back in 1988, I treated my self to not watching Four Weddings and a Funeral.

So did everyone else, seeing as it wasn't released for another six years after that.

MonkeyPuzzle 06 Jan 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Prometheus, although I expect the rest of the cinema wished I had walked out rather than laugh my way through it. However, once something has passed into unintentional comedy you couldn't drag me away with wild horses. "This is no human baby" - priceless!

I think the only thing I actually have walked out of was Driving Miss Daisy. I was only twelve or thirteen but even I felt patronised. I was on what approximated a "date" at that age as well. I blame Jessica Tandy for the death of that relationship.

Post edited at 12:44
 kermit_uk 06 Jan 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Batman vs Superman.

Only watched at home and took me about 4 attempts. at one point I found myself in the kitchen doing the washing up and wondering how I got there.

I did eventually persevere and see it through though. Still not sure why.

So glad i wasn't sat in a cinema for that.

Shame really because I actually thought Affleck made a pretty good batman.

Blue Straggler 06 Jan 2019
In reply to kermit_uk:

I gave it 8.5/10 !

Increased to at least 9/10 when i watched the Director’s cut after buying a Blu Rayvplayer mainly for that specific reason 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...