UKC

Speaker advice from audiophiles, please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thrudge 12 Dec 2018

I've been using Klipsch La Scalas for years and they sound wonderful.  I'm driving them with a 14-watt valve amp and I love it.  However..... a change in domestic circumstances may require me to downsize.  But to what?  

I'm painfully aware that I'll be unable to replicate the sound of a ginormous horn with a standard speaker, but can anyone recommend something to replace the La Scalas, please?  Floorstanders for preference - I've never been keen on bookshelf speakers.  Budget would be around 1.5k max, happy with secondhand.  Geek out, chaps.....   :-D

In reply to Thrudge:

My Dad gave me some sound advice on his death bed. "Always spend as much as you can on good speakers"

Ripcaster have a pair of Linn Majik Isobarik Speakers on a well know auction site for £1400. They were part of a trade in and have been fully tested (they are a Linn dealership) Maybe worth a look?

Dan Arkle 12 Dec 2018
In reply to Thrudge:

I think your budget of 1.5K is completely below what is necessary for a decent audiophile set up.

For my small kit in the kitchen, I'm currently running a Unison Research ceiling mounted array of 16 units creating 5D sound. (64K), with the kitchen moisture proofing kit to protect the investment (3K).  Obviously factor in 22c welsh gold cables from Dreamsounds (2.8k), and two weeks to have it installed properly by SpecialSoundZ to get correct balance, and re-plaster over the cables with 4x accoustic plaster (6.5K).  One of the real keys for me, was replacing the kitchen units and pans with ones that gave the correct resonance for the type of music I am into (mainly Britney Spears atm).

Now that the cables have been run in, the sound is as as good as I've ever had it in there, although I think if I did it again, I'd not cut as many corners.

Post edited at 11:47
 graeme jackson 12 Dec 2018
In reply to Thrudge:

Take a look at Living Voice Auditorium.  I've had mine for years and love the sound.  Currently a couple of pairs on ebay in your price range. The OBX are the next level up from basic and very very good.

Blue Straggler 12 Dec 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> My Dad gave me some sound advice on his death bed. 

As Dangermouse would say, “good GRIEF”

Philip 12 Dec 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I assume you powerflush twice yearly to clear any excess decibels from the infrasound range?

Do you find excessive bass deflates Yorkshire puddings?

In reply to Thrudge:

Have a look at Neat speakers.  Some of their floorstanders are sized for domestic harmony and still sound good.

T.

OP Thrudge 12 Dec 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Don't forget surgery.  I had a 4 micron layer shaved off each eardrum and my pinnae coated in pure unobtainium.  The difference in timbral resolution borders on the perceptible.  It gets even better if I take my glasses off.

OP Thrudge 12 Dec 2018
In reply to graeme jackson:

Living Voice - ah, yes.  Thank you, I'd forgotten about them.  A mate used to have a pair and I liked them.  And Kevin Scott (the manufacturer) is a top chap to deal with.  Might be having a chat with him...

spartacus 12 Dec 2018
In reply to Thrudge:

Have you considered the Wisdom Audio Infinite Wisdom Grande? The acoustic throughput is remarkable on these are large units, weighing in at a total of nearly two tonnes and standing more than 8ft tall - designed, says Wisdom Audio, for "multi-level rooms in the largest homes and palaces, great halls and ballrooms these units take traditional notions of audiophile excellence to the next level (2nd floor!).”

“Chaff wedge and beaver reverb is all but eliminated in these high end units, a standard not seen since the demise of the smeg 10 super boxes.”

You can’t go wrong with a pair of these.

OP Thrudge 12 Dec 2018
In reply to spartacus:

What I really want is these:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/living_voice_vox_olympian_vox_elysian...

When I become king....

hokkyokusei 12 Dec 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

If you've not bought directional speaker cables, your money was wasted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...