UKC

Woodhouse Scar dry rock tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonathandavey 23 Dec 2018

Woodhouse Scar

If anyone could advise on the likelihood of dry rock tomorrow after a heavy rain day today at Woodhouse scar I would be grateful. Normally for quick drying routes to VS I would head to Heptonstall natural edges but fancying a change.

dunnyg 23 Dec 2018
In reply to jonathandavey:

Pretty damp on the hill opposite tonight if that helps. 

Offwidth 24 Dec 2018

I'd say there is a good chance for much bouldering and some harder routes from now. Sun is out in the area so it just needs to hit the rock. In my experience the cracks take a couple of days to dry at least in winter. Some jugs will hold water and there will be puddles on top. I co-wrote the YMC chapter for the crag so have gone there a lot in winter months. 

Sorry about the late reply only just spotted the thread. There is also bouldering under the roofs that takes terrible weather to ruin. Take a rag or beer mat to dry and clean your feet off.

Post edited at 12:44
 greg_may_ 24 Dec 2018

Should be ok after today, other side of the valley won't have had any light so anything over here in Hebden is frozen still!  Heppy was wet today when I walked past. Could be ok tomorrow. 

Bit of wind and Widdop could be ok...if cold.

Jon Stewart 24 Dec 2018
In reply to greg_may_:

I'm hoping to stop off for a quick blodder before my my christmas dinner in manchester tomorrow and was thinking hawkstones...but also suspect that the moors might be covered in clag.

Any better suggestions for a west yorks/lancs roadside hit? 

Cheers and mxm

Graeme Hammond 24 Dec 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Am staying near Ilkley tonight and there is 10mm of frost on top of the cars outside, so much so that a coin will stand on end. Quite a difference to walking in a T-shirt on the beach in Suffolk this morning.

Offwidth 25 Dec 2018
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

All frost gone this am where we are, up above Brighouse (same altitude as Woodhouse Scar). West facing house walls here dry so some of the bouldering should still be OK in the afternoons most of this week given the forecast....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2647632

Happy Xmas bouldering.

greg_may_ 25 Dec 2018

Moist does not describe the rock in Hebden today,

OP jonathandavey 25 Dec 2018

Thanks for the responses, ended up going to Heptonstall anyway where it was reliably a dry suntrap with great views over the fog filled valley. Quarry looked surprisingly dry when we walked through too (Monday)

Merry Christmas to all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...