UKC

Beinn Bhalgairean: tip for walkers with dogs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 29 Dec 2018

Allt Aindrea runs north west from the near summit slopes. Where it crosses under the new deer fence, there's a wooden flap which can be lifted up to allow a medium sized dog through (assuming your dog is not afraid of running water: my last dog was). NN 20868 24383.

Better than throwing your dog over. Remember it's cats that land on their feet.

Post edited at 17:29
OP Flinticus 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Oh yes. Watch for protruding nails on the underside. There was one anyway.

girlymonkey 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I had a hilarious crossing of a deer fence with the mutt on Meall nan Tarmachan. There is a flap like you describe with a ladder type style next to it. The mutt would go through, but as I tried to get the lead through and secured to something, he would just come back through to my side and want to play! I could not get him to go. So eventually I tried to carry him over the style, but he doesn't like being carried! So he was clambering up me and onto my head as I tried to get down without falling or dropping him! It was one of those moments where you wonder how you get yourself into such a muddle! 

He's a lovely mutt, but we definitely need to practice our crossings! Lol

marsbar 30 Dec 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

My daft mutt is no longer with us but I have many happy memories of attempting to get him over or under the stiles.  

He was part collie and quite capable of climbing or just leaping over anything if he put his mind to it.   Baby gates, 5 foot fences etc.  He would regularly quite happily climb over styles if he felt so inclined, but on some occasions he would get half way and decide not to go any further having got it into his doggy head that he was stuck or scared. He would go under and through all sorts of things when playing (he loved the old Limekilns with little tunnels) but those styles with under gates would need him to be shoved or dragged when he wasn't in the mood.  He was a pain in the bum and I miss him but we had many happy years.

OP Flinticus 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Just once I had to hail my last collie over a deer fence. He weighed about 24kg but was in a harness. I had indented lines across my hands from holding the wire. 

girlymonkey 30 Dec 2018
In reply to marsbar:

They are so funny when they get something like that in their heads!

Ours can't be offlead, which is the main difficulty really. He could easily get himself over most things if there wasn't a lead stopping him from getting so far away. Fine on normal styles as they are not so high, but deer fence ones are too high for the lead to reach

marsbar 30 Dec 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I made an adjustable length lead for the same reasons.  Also had one of these, https://fetch.co.uk/halti-dog-training-lead-black-large-86921011?gclid=EAIa...

You can have it full length or half or in between.

Post edited at 18:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...