UKC

Easter destination with semi-keen wife and child

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denoir 29 Dec 2018

Hello,

Any constructive thoughts welcome on this one!

Me, my wife and 5 year old are planning an Easter holiday based around climbing, the challenge being that I'm keener on the climbing than my wife. Credit to her, she's up for it so long as there's some sunshine, nice restaurants, history, other stuff to do, good accomodation etc. I'm happy to sleep on the side of a mountain but she'd prefer a few more mod cons and nice sheets... We went to Arco a few years back which work well but this time want something further south. Kalymnos has been mentioned but I have some instinctive reservations. Crete, Sardinia are also possibilities preferably flying from Bristol. 

Any suggestions, similar experiences? 

Thanks

Chris

GDes 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

Why the kalymnos reservations? It really is very hard to beat for what you're after.

Buises les barronies area in France is always a winner. 

bouldery bits 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

Take the pads. Go to font! 

Max factor 29 Dec 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

Words of wisdom there.

OP Denoir 29 Dec 2018
In reply to GDes:

That's encouraging to hear. Reservations because it may be a bit of a pain to get to and  accomodation options look a bit limited at first glance for her to enjoy it. I'll do some more investigation! 

rurp 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

Kalymnos is perfect for the climbing aspect but your wife may struggle as  no history, minimal walking etc. Food  pretty good and accommodation clean and tidy rather than fancy. 

font is perfect, history, food accommodation in abundance , you can knacker yourself in 3 hours and be back by the time they are up so you can spend the day with them. No one has to belay you and entertain a 5 year old at the bottom of a crag. Kiddie circuits, everyone’s happy and the dreaded words ‘ which days are family days where you are not climbing’ never need to surface!

1234None 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

Gorge du Tarn?

In reply to bouldery bits:

> Take the pads. Go to font! 

I’m only going to say this once. Do not encourage more people to go to Font

GDes 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

Kalymnos is a slight pain to get to,butbnit that bad. Gatwick to kos, ferry, taxi. There's some really nice apartments to be found on Airbnb, and plenty of nice walking I thought. Probably does need a 2 weeks, orbat least 10 days, to make the journey worthwhile. 

I think gorge du tarn could be a bit dull for the non climbers. Too cold for the canoeing, 

Robert Durran 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

I would have thought either Sardinia or Greece (Leonidio) would tick your boxes well.

Ross L 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

We had two great October holidays in Cala Gonone, Sardinia recently - certainly worth looking at. My daughter was 6 y.o. the first time we went and my partner likes top roping easier routes. Our average days were climbing 4 or 5 routes in the morning then play on the beach/snorkel in the afternoon. Good weather, nice Italian food, not busy, friendly locals, good aquarium and caves to visit when not climbing, etc., etc.  

deacondeacon 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

Are you planning on climbing with people you meet up with or are you belaying each other? If the latter then I think the little 'un is in for a pretty miserable holiday there's a reason font is popular with young families. It's perfect. Loads of history, fun for the kids, world class bouldering, inexpensive, and you don't need a belay. 

Ciro 31 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

Finale Ligure would tick a few boxes - beautiful forests to climb and play in, warm enough to go to the beach, not warm enough for the beach to be crammed with tourists, and very pretty old villages.

Not a great place to find climbing partners though if that's your plan, due to the spread out nature of the climbing.

8dreams 31 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

i am pretty much in the same boat: with a 3-month baby though. My ideas are: 1)mallorca, 2) san vito lo capo, 3) margalef/siurana, 4) albenga

isnt arco super polished?

went to Finale a couple of years ago and it does tick all boxes, but you will need a car and imo the climbing was not so good (every hold was either super sharp or super polished...)

earlsdonwhu 31 Dec 2018
In reply to Denoir:

Sicily...warm, beaches, culture/ history and convenient crag access.

OP Denoir 01 Jan 2019
In reply to deacondeacon:

We’d climb together and hopefully be joined by a climbing friend for a few days, so a bit mixed really! 

OP Denoir 01 Jan 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

Leonidio looks great! I haven’t heard of that before

OP Denoir 01 Jan 2019
In reply to Ross L:

That sounds similar to what i’d expect to do with the family. I’ve always loved Italy but never been to sardinia so that sounds attractive 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...