UKC

Arc'teryx Alpha FL- Scottish winter climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all, 

What are people's experience of the Alpha FL's durability and performance for Scottish winter climbing? If I find myself squeezing through a chimney will the 40D fabric suffer abrasions? 

Obviously the SV would take more abuse, but wouldn't work all that well as a year round jacket for alpine trips and rainy hikes (it also comes with an eye watering price tag). I'd considered the AR, but I can't ever seem to find it on deal. 

I know at this point I'll have people telling me to consider a myriad of different brands, but I've already done a lot of consideration and have loved all my previous Arc'teryx purchases (due to the amazing build quality and alpine design). 

Thanks in advance people, 

Brad

Stichtplate 30 Dec 2018
In reply to bradleyrichards93:

If you can live with a slightly longer cut, the Beta AR is down to £320 at Snow & Rock currently. Not sure, but they might honour the 15% BMC discount on top.

BnB 30 Dec 2018

> Hi all, 

> What are people's experience of the Alpha FL's durability and performance for Scottish winter climbing? If I find myself squeezing through a chimney will the 40D fabric suffer abrasions? 

I wouldn’t give it much chance. The 40D segments of my ME Tupilak were easily shredded.

I suppose it depends how much Scottish winter climbing you do. It wouldn’t be my choice of jacket for grovelling up Savage Slit, but I would wear it on the likes of Tower Ridge, Point Five Gully, and anything that doesn’t involve chimneying or granite no problem.

I had the original FL and thought it was ace. I used it loads for alpine climbing and ski touring. It lasted pretty well, but ended up with few small nicks and holes around the pocket area (top tip: always keep jacket pockets empty when climbing).

James Gordon 31 Dec 2018

FWIW: I’ve used my old one a bit and I think it’s kinda as bombproof as tougher fabric in that any fabric will be abraded and cut and I use a similar fabric jottnar smock (hymir) that has stood up amazingly to mixed climbing.

ive used an AR too (its for sale!!...look at my post) and randomly it got a tiny cut but sure the 80D fabric is tougher but I think if you want an all rounder the FL is awesome. 

In short 2 FLs will probably last longer than sImilar price SV? At least the dwr on 2 will and as you say they’ll be better for alpine stuff and wet walking as well  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...