UKC

Tenerife sport climbing. Rope length?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mugglewump 02 Jan 2019

Heading out to Tenerife on Saturday for a family holiday/ sport climbing trip. Not had chance to look at a guide yet as it seems like the best bet is to buy one out there. We are based in los Rios which is right on the hub of the climbing in the south. 

What rope length would you recommend and how many draws?  

To give you an idea of the type of crags we would visit. It would be all onsite type of climbing, couple of hours here and there so definitely no harder than 7a. 

Many thanks

OP mugglewump 02 Jan 2019
In reply to mugglewump:

Bump

outdoors.nick 02 Jan 2019
In reply to mugglewump:

We're heading over there in Feb and managed to get the guidebook from a friend. It advises, "a 60m rope is long enough for most routes.... In Guararia & La Galeria a rope of at least 70m may be needed". No mention of quickdraws though.

Hope that helps somewhat. Have a great trip!

In reply to outdoors.nick:

Hi, thanks for that! looks like it will have to be our 70m. Was just trying to save weight. Looks like a great place. Hope you have a great trip too. 

Cheers

K Wall 02 Jan 2019
In reply to mugglewump:

I've had two one week long trips there over the last few years and I was glad to take my 70m.  I loved the long routes in Guaria and El Rio.   The rock gives really great climbs.  As far as the guide book goes, I got the local guide book from the big Decathlon in Santa Cruz (you see it from the motorway).    The local gear shop in Adeje appeared to have closed down. We did find another well stocked gear shop in Santa Cruz (Tenerife Outdoor, http://www.tenerifeoutdoor.com,  IIRC) which also stocked the book.

HTH

Post edited at 22:58
In reply to K Wall:

Fantastic. Cheers!

petegunn 03 Jan 2019
In reply to mugglewump:

We went back in November .

We took 12 quickdraws (used less than 10 though) and 60m rope. We climbed in the Arico gorges and up on the volcano. 

There are a few routes were 70m is needed but as we only had 10kg bags so we didn't take it to save weight. 

The climbing shop in Arico has everything you'll need, guide book, chalk etc. You can hire bouldering pads as well for 11e for the first day and 4e for each extra day.

Cheaper to pre book a hire car online than getting one from the airport.

Pete

PATTISON Bill 03 Jan 2019
In reply to mugglewump:

Spent about a year on Tenerife and would agree with Petegunns comments .The guy at the shop/hostel in Arico is a good source for gear and info.A nice way to relax after climbing at Arico is to drive  back down to the motorway,cross it and take the first left to Abades.There are a couple of bars that serve some food and a supermarket.There is a good beach with real sand and safe swimming.Great island ,you should enjoy it.Bill Pattison MBE.

Post edited at 13:03
OP mugglewump 18 Jan 2019
In reply to PATTISON Bill:

Thanks for the advice. Lovely place some great climbing and some fantastic road cycling. Had some great swims and a lovely meal down in Abades. Cheers!

OP mugglewump 18 Jan 2019
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks for the advice. Cant wait to go back!

Post edited at 11:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...