UKC

Isle of Man TT

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My grandson has asked us to go with him (with credit card) to the 2020 IOM TT races. We are really looking forward to it but does anyone out there have any advice about going to this event; eg camping, spectating, getting about etc.?

abr1966 02 Jan 2019
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Book now....asap! I've only been once with a group of biker mates....I don't ride motorbikes but I did have a great trip.....it is absolutely shocking how fast they ride!

nastyned 02 Jan 2019

I worked on the Isle of Man for a few months, including when a TT was on but I've no interest in motor sports so I'm probably not much help! A few general points though: it does get very busy (something like 40,000 visitors to an island with a population of 85,000) so as stated above definitely book early! The busses are decent, taxis expensive and trains are for tourists (but if you're into trains could be of use). You can watch it from the road and I'm sure a google will give you some recommended spots. There's also a grandstand but I'm afraid I spent all my time in the beer tent when I was there!

luke glaister 02 Jan 2019

Me and 4 mates rented out a house for 10 days. I had nothing to do with the booking tho so can't point you in any direction . It was cheap tho. As for a spot to watch. You have to go to the bottom of bray hill. Watching them come past at 180 is something I will never forgot. 

Andrew Lodge 02 Jan 2019

As others have said, both ferries and accommodation book up over a year in advance, you can't start planning too early for this one.

Nothing really prepares you for the utter violence of a bike going past at over 180 mph just a few feet from where you are standing, it's really quite shocking the first few times.

jkarran 02 Jan 2019

Book early to get the best boats if you're taking bikes, flights remain available much later in the year. If you're not then public transport around the course outside racing times is good. The west side of the island has a pinch point where the course and coast meet making transport around that bit of the course more awkward however you're travelling but Peel is probably the nicest town to camp with lots going on in walking distance. Laxey is similar on the east coast, nice village with enough going on and good busses. Both football clubs run camp sites which I doubt book up more than a year out, tourist board will help. Homestay is a more comfortable option, again there's a website. Late May weather is hit and miss. TT week is well worth doing.

Jk

Post edited at 22:38
 Ian W 02 Jan 2019

https://www.iomtt.com/tt-info

is where you need to visit.

And the superbikes are now topping 200mph at more than one place on the course........with corners and things......and dry stone walls. This youtube vid gives an idea how close you can ge to the action.

youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0&

Enjoy!!

Tony Jones 02 Jan 2019

As a slightly more relaxed option - and one which might help you you tap into the history of road racing on the island - perhaps it might be worth considering going over in September for the Manx GP. Accommodation will be much cheaper and easier to find and, if you happen to have a motorcycle with you, there will be much more opportunity for an unimpeded quick ride around the TT course (remember to observe speed limits through the built up areas and your licence should remain intact).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...