UKC

Dolomites with kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 el diablo 03 Jan 2019

Having been to the Dolomites a long time ago, my memory doesn't serve me too well. I have a vague memory of staying in a campsite near Cortina that had a swimming pool. Any idea folks? Any recommendations there or elsewhere where there is a pool and plenty of suitable VF and climbing? Cheers 

Jenny C 03 Jan 2019
In reply to el diablo:

3 sites just down river from Cortina all adjacent to reach other and within walking distance of town.

We always stay at Camping Dolomiti which is furthest out but doesn't have a pool (or rather has one but it's usually empty).

The middle site Camping Cortina backs onto Dolomiti and does nice pizza. Never stayed there so don't know what it's like for camping but it does have a pool. 

Don't think Camping Rocchetta which is the closest to town has a pool but may be wrong. The entrance is directly ouposite the middle site so you could easily check both out. 

Up river from Cortina is Camping Olympic, never visited so don't know what facilities are like. Its not really within easy walking distance of town and I would say probably less well located. 

Post edited at 23:10
In reply to el diablo:

If it was the 2006 trip then the campsite was in Colfosco. Wasn't aware of a pool though. 

www.campingcolfosco.org/en

jam 04 Jan 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

Up river from Cortina is Camping Olympic, never visited so don't know what facilities are like. Its not really within easy walking distance of town and I would say probably less well located. 

No pool there. Last year there were bouncy castle type things set up in the sports field across the highway for young kids.

dominic lee 04 Jan 2019
In reply to el diablo:

Always stayed at Camping Dolomiti. Lovely well cared for open site with great views all round. Frequent buses into town..Pool was still open last time I was there, sept 2010.

StuDoig 04 Jan 2019
In reply to el diablo:

Another regular stayer in Camping Dolomiti in Cortina area - a nice site, but have never seen water in the pool unless it rained!  That said we're normally there in Sept, so out of peak season.

Depends on what you're looking for to do with the kids and their ages, but I thought Canazei area was better looking than Cortina for families. 

Camping Marmolada in Canazei it's self is grim - avoid!  Camping Miravalle further down the glen was much better.  A good sized common room, drying room and stuff like table football for kids on wet days.  Pizzaria / bar on site too.  No pool though!

Decent first via Ferrata on col rodella, easy access cragging on the sella pass and a climbing wall / kids amusement park nearby if weather poor high up.  You could cycle up and down the valley on off road tracks as well I think (winter x country skiing trails) to visit other villages.  If you are happy to drive an hr, loads more child friendly cragging.

Canazei and the village the campsite is in (forget it's name) are smaller and less in them than Cortina though.

I've a wee girl just coming up for 1 so have been thinking about places we could go on family holidays in the mountains a fair bit lately! 

Not to say there isn't plenty for kids in Cortina, but wasn't as obvious when I was last there 2 years ago.

PeterBlackler 04 Jan 2019
In reply to Stuart Macfarlane:

We were at Campsite Colfosco this summer (there isn't a pool)

Is a beautiful location but wouldn't necessarily recommend the campsite (which is unusual as I'm generally pretty positive with reviews) as very rule-based & enforced by a nutty, shouty chap driving around in a little white van...rather like an Italian version of Basil Fawlty. That hardly matters but does seem to reflect the on the general mood of the campsite...

BR

Peter

Jenny C 04 Jan 2019
In reply to StuDoig:

> Another regular stayer in Camping Dolomiti in Cortina area - a nice site, but have never seen water in the pool unless it rained!  That said we're normally there in Sept, so out of peak season.

> Depends on what you're looking for to do with the kids and their ages, but I thought Canazei area was better looking than Cortina for families. 

>  .....  Camping Miravalle further down the glen was much better.  A good sized common room, drying room and stuff like table football for kids on wet days.  Pizzaria / bar on site too.  No pool though!

Really hated this site it felt like you were camping in someone's garden, boxed in by caravans. OK maybe this is normal for continental campsites but I found it felt claustrophobic, facilities however were great and being just a few minutes walk into town for shopping was really handy. 

mbh 04 Jan 2019
In reply to PeterBlackler:

That's a shame. We stayed there [Camping Colfosco, just outside Corvara] 4 years ago and found it very relaxing. The shouty chap must have arrived since. There was plenty of space, the facilities were great and there are several great VFs very nearby, including one esp. suitable for young kids at the top of the valley.

moonpie11 04 Jan 2019
In reply to el diablo:

I stayed at Camping Cortina last summer. It definitely has a pool (although it's not huge) and did great pizzas! Plenty of kids were staying in the campsite and it's really easy to get around from. I was staying myself for two weeks and after a few nights an older Italian woman who stayed in one of the chalets for the summer started bringing me leftovers every night, turned out she thought I was a teenage runaway (I'm 31 so was quite chuffed with that!) because she wasn't used to seeing a woman camping on her own. Everyone I met there was really friendly as were the staff.  I would definitely recommend it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...