UKC

HMG Windrider 4400 for mountaineering expedition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
robs123 04 Jan 2019

Hi, I've had a HMG Windrider 4400 for a couple of years and it's been excellent for backpacking. Also I have a Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack 45:55, which I've used for day and short multi-day mountaineering.

I'm booked on a trip to Alpamayo later this year and I would prefer to avoid shelling out on a new pack.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the HMG will be suitable? I imagine I'd be able to put axes, crampons and helmet in the main compartment, with minimal faff, when not in use.

However, there are some quick-draw items like gloves, balaclava, layers and snacks that would be better off outside. Possibly the mesh on the HMG would be a liability for getting gear caught while (ice) climbing? Could the mesh be taped together to form a pocket? Can anyone recommend a good pod / external bag that would fit well in such a mesh?
I wouldn't normally put my water bottle outside but, in this case, it seems like a reasonable plan to avoid faff (at the cost of increased likelihood of freezing). Any advice there? I sometimes use a collapsible bottle attached to the gear loop on my harness but I guess that's not good at high altitude. Otherwise, a bladder (in main compartment) with neoprene sleeve + blow-back might work?

Thanks for any ideas / comments.

Rob.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...