UKC

Travel Insurance query?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’m off to the USA and Canada for 90 days, climbing, hiking and exploring. 

I usually use the BMC insurance but for some reason they refuse to cover US trips for over 45 days. 

Can anyone suggest a decent alternative please? 

Robert Durran 07 Jan 2019
In reply to A Random Climber:

Have a look at Sportscoverdirect. Cheaper but with cover not too far off BMC levels. Does longer trips (I too use BMC but needed cover for a long US trip). I didn't test how good it is if something goes badly wrong though!

Post edited at 20:27

Hey, I go to the US at least once a year mainly for climbing. I use a company called SportsCoverDirect. You tick off all the activities you are likely to do and then are insured for the most dangerous category and all those below. 

I experienced severe snowblindness on a trip back in 2016 and my medical bills were covered. I take out an annual policy.

Hope this is of some help.

Enjoy your trip

Post edited at 20:27
 Martin Bennett 07 Jan 2019

I too use Sportscover Direct for N America, even for shorter trips as at my age I can't afford BMC once they add exorbitant 'age loading'. 

They have a good website and on-line booking form and ate very personable and responsive on the phone. Encouraging to see the note above about good response to a claim.

Post edited at 20:32
 Robert Durran 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> I too use Sportscover Direct for N America, even for shorter trips as at my age I can't afford BMC once they add exorbitant 'age loading'. 

> They have a hood website and on-line booking form and ate very personable and responsive on the phone.

Yes, I had to phone about a hernia diagnosis before travelling and they were extremely helpful (they just increased the excess a bit).

I've used https://www.truetraveller.com/ before for similar trips and they seemed good, and get great reviews. However I never had to use them and that's where the proof lies.

gravy 07 Jan 2019

You can try dogtag and snowcard

In reply to all:

Thankyou... I shall check them out

Martin Bennett 07 Jan 2019
In reply to gravy:

Snowcard all but out of the question if you're sufficiently aged to fall foul of the dreaded age loading. Last time I checked their rate went up 300% for over 70s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...