UKC

Al Evans - RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BlownAway 11 Jan 2019

Sadly, Al Evans passed away this morning in Sheffield's Northern General Hospital.

Al hadn't been well for some time and had only recently moved back to the UK from Spain where he had been living.

Rest in peace Al.

jon 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Oh, now that's sad. RIP indeed.

Tyler 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad to hear, it was a discussion with him that motivated me to join UKC, RIP after a life well lived. 

Trangia 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

That's very sad news. I used to enjoy Al's posts on here, and I met him once during a trip to Spain where he had settled. I didn't know him during his climbing heyday, but by all accounts he was a climbing legend putting up some very bold routes.

Yes, he had his problems, but was very upfront about them and fought his addiction to the best of his ability.

Don't mention the Peaks!

RIP Al

In reply to BlownAway:

So sad to hear this very bad news. Al’s contribution to British climbing has been immense. RIP Al.

john arran 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

How very sad.

cfer 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad to hear this, one of the few I've had the pleasure of meeting from here and a genuinely nice guy, thoughts with his family

The Lemming 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

That is indeed sad news. Al, was one of the best and most knowledgeable contributers on this forum.

It still gives me pleasure knowing that I've climbed routes that he first assended at Trowbarrow.

Rest in peace sir.

Post edited at 09:23
 Calvi 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

That's very sad news.

In reply to BlownAway:

How very sad. His contribution to the sport was immense.

dread-i 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

That's very sad news. Al always struck me as someone who'd led an interesting life but was still down to earth. Great climber, runner, got to a good height on Everest and with an interesting job in the media. The piece he wrote about his demons was very raw and very brave. RIP.

deepsoup 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Oh, very sorry to hear that.  Sincere condolences to friends & family.

Doug 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sorry to hear that, I didn't really know him in 'real life' but enjoyed his contributions here and, like so many, profited from his contributions to climbing over the years, particularly but not only, for Crags.

First time I met him was in Gibraltar when I was in my early teens & he was filming an ascent of the rock by Martin Boysen & others (I think, it was long ago).  He took time to talk to me although I'm sure he probably thought I was just a pest.

Rob Exile Ward 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad news. The only time I met him was playing darts in  - I think - the Salutation arms in Ambleside, must be at least 47 years ago. He wasn't much older than me but his experience and enthusiasm even then were inspirational. I remember asking him what grade he climbed, thinking he'd say 5b, maybe even 5c, I was very into the numbers in those days - he just looked at me and shrugged, 'Anything', he said. Great put down!

RIP, and thanks for all your contributions here over the last 10 - 15 years. 

PaulW 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

I only met him a couple of times. One of life's good people. Condolences to his family and close friends

krikoman 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Poor Al.

Deadeye 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

:¬(

Sorry to hear that.  A mine of information and truly passionate about climbing.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news, RIP Al,

Chris

toad 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Such sad news

Alyson 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Thank you for letting us all know Phil, that's very sad news. I wish I'd been in a position to take him up on his offer a few years ago when he invited me out to Spain to do some climbing! Always enjoyed his contributions to these forums as well as his huge contribution to climbing in general.

Dave Todd 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Aw crap... spent a week on a climbing trip to Kalymnos with Al many years ago.  Lovely character, always seemed to be smiling, and always up for a good argument!

I shall remember him whenever I hear the words 'The Peaks'...

RIP Al

Dave

wilkie14c 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad, rest in piece Al

Jon Greengrass 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news, I have fond memories of the times I had climbing with Al and will never forget the stories he would tell. A legend lost. 

BALD EAGLE 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

That is desperately sad news so sincere condolences to all Al's family, loved ones and friends. 

Rest in peace Al.

Michael Hood 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

That's sad news. I remember when he filmed Ron soloing Darius and his contributions to the start of Crags magazine. Also his contributions to this forum. As someone above has said, whenever anyone said The Peaks, I'd be waiting for Al's riposte.

Greenbanks 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

A depressingly sad start to 2019. Awful news. It is worth remembering, at times such as these, that characters like Al shine very big lights for many people. My link is tenuous, going back to Lancashire guidebook work (pre-brick) and tussles about grades and routes (I did what was to be 'Cracked Actor' in poor style, hanging on a couple of wires, a few months before Al did the first ascent - one of his many stellar routes). 

In sum, a giant personality who made a giant contribution to our game. RIP

David Riley 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Enjoyed Al's company on a trip to Lundy.  Very sorry he's gone.

Dave Todd 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Dave Todd:

> Aw crap... spent a week on a climbing trip to Kalymnos with Al many years ago.  Lovely character, always seemed to be smiling, and always up for a good argument!

> I shall remember him whenever I hear the words 'The Peaks'...

> RIP Al

> Dave

I'd encourage everyone to have a look through Al's gallery on here (https://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.php?id=14) for a measure of a life well-lived.

Steve Perry 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news, RIP Al. I hope they play Jean Jeanie at his funeral, a fantastic route to leave us.

jkarran 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad to hear that, he was an interesting contributor here for many years.

jk

Clauso 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sorry to hear this news. I always enjoyed reading Al's tales from his exploits 'back in the day'.

Condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

Offwidth 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Clauso:

Ditto.

Al was always good value on the forums and did a lot of important new routing.

Condolences to those who knew him well.

JamButty 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news,  RIP Al.....

steveriley 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

One of the good guys.

pneame 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad news. Always enjoyed his contributions on here and admired his contributions to climbing. 

Yanis Nayu 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad news - a real forum stalwart and from what I could tell a decent chap  

Rest in peace (or should that be Peaks?)

Rob Naylor 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad news. First met him on a UKC southern sandstone "picnic" in about 2000, and later a couple of times in the Peak (no "s"!!!!). When he was selling up to move to Spain I bought a set of weights from him (for next to nothing IIRC). Drove over to his house to pick them up and had a great couple of hours nattering with him.

I still use the weights, though they're getting a bit battered now.

Removed User 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad. We used to have some great discussions. Usually about who was better, Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan.

RIP Al, you made a great contribution to climbing.

JLS 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news. RIP

Cú Chullain 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news indeed.

Never met the man in real life but had nattered to him on here for the best part of 20 years. A bulwark to my somewhat more cynical view on life.

icnoble 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

This is very sad news. My wife and I first met him when we first started climbing in Spain about 8 years ago and always enjoyed his company. Our deepest sympathy for his family.

Carless 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sorry to hear this. I met Al just once years ago on the top of the Penon: he was most amused when I said "this is a longshot, but are you Al Evans?"

Condolences to his family and friends

RIP

Duncan Bourne 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sorry to hear that. I knew him from UKC a while back.

abr1966 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

I liked Al.....been thinking about how he was lately as he'd not been on here for a while.

RIP Al

Gaz Parry Climbing 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

What sad news. A great and lovely man. Had some wonderful chats with him whilst in the Costa Blanca. Rest in peace Al you had a great innings.

Mike Owen 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad to hear about this. RIP Al.

climbingpixie 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news. I knew I hadn't heard much from him on here or FB but I didn't realise things were so serious. I didn't know him well but we climbed together a couple of times and he seemed like a thoroughly sound bloke. I climbed Satan's Slip with him on my first trip to Lundy, him letting me lead all of it because he'd already done it. And I've always enjoyed climbing the routes he put up. RIP Al.

Tom Briggs 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news. I climbed Widespread Ocean of Fear on Lundy with Al many years ago. It was one of those perfect climbing days. RIP Al.

Ridge 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Really sorry to hear that, my condolences to friends and familly.

I never met Al in person, but he struck me as a very genuine bloke who was incredibly honest about his personal demons.

As others have said, I'll never hear anyone say "the peaks" without thinking of Al

RIP

keith sanders 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

I’ve known Al from early 70s in the peak Stoney days Al proposed me for the CC in 76 for that I owe him a big gratitude had some good times as many other have with him.             

Will be sadly missed

cheers Al for all you’re done for me and climbing

keith s

johnwright 11 Jan 2019
In reply to keith sanders:

Rip Al

Removed User 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Just saw this on FB via Sutty. Such sad news but what a life. We had a couple of quite bad tempered arguments on here some years back but we also exchanged a few emails which confirmed what I suspected; he was fundamentally a very decent, kind and sensitive man, and unusually honest and brave in the way he expressed his emotions and dealt with the troubles he'd had in life. Condolences to his family.

RIP Al.

Post edited at 17:26
 Sean Kelly 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news but a great character both in his climbing and in life. We regularly used to go for a drink during the late 70's, in the 'Grapes' in Manchester on Thursday evenings, after he had finished work at the TV studios. I believe he worked on Coronation Street at one time. Then we caught the Buxton train home, but one evening after perhaps too much of the amber nectar, we woke up in Buxton, when Al should have got off at Dove Holes and I should have alighted at Hazel Grove!

Post edited at 17:31
 Tom Last 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sorry to hear that. I enjoyed his posts on here which must have been a few years ago now. Also, St John’s Head in 1969 - respect! Rest in peace. 

Nevis-the-cat 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

I am so sorry to hear this. Al was a cracking bloke with a ready story or two. Always had an anecdote amd an easy laugh. Going to miss your tall stories Al mate..

Do we know when the funeral is? 

Phizzers 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad news, Phil.

I first met Al on the first Crags trip to Ulvik.

He took the spotty, gangly 17 year old kid under his wing, and showed him how to climb.

RIP old pal.

Helen R 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news. RIP Al 

pasbury 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Respect; RIP.

Gone for good 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad news. RIP 

S Andrew 11 Jan 2019

Sad

Colin Moody 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Sad news but a great character both in his climbing and in life. We regularly used to go for a drink during the late 70's, in the 'Grapes' in Manchester on Thursday evenings, after he had finished work at the TV studios. I believe he worked on Coronation Street at one time. Then we caught the Buxton train home, but one evening after perhaps too much of the amber nectar, we woke up in Buxton, when Al should have got off at Dove Holes and I should have alighted at Hazel Grove!

I would have given that a like.

I never met him but we exchanged a few emails, from the comments on here he was a fine character.

Pete Pozman 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news. 

Rick Graham 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news, another titan  of the climbing scene gone too soon.

I recall how enthusiastic about his and others climbing he was, and without any hint of ego.

Heard stories about him having half the cast of Corrie in tow at the climbers pubs in Manc after filming work.

Didn't he hold the unofficial record for the Krypton Factor assault course?

RIP

Removed User 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Remember Al from the early days ,wild boozy Saturday nights in The Grouse in Stoney late 60s. Amiable guy, I've never managed Daytona Wall on Cows Mouth - nice one Al - RIP.

In reply to BlownAway:

Ah, that's a real shame.  One of this site's characters, and indeed one of British climbing's too.

Climb when you're ready, Al.

T.

C Witter 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Condolences to his family and friends. A truly inspiring character, who must occupy a few chapters in the book of climbing legends - I've told many a person the larger the life tale of his first ascent of Jean Jeanie.

Andy Farnell 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

This is really sad news. I met Al around the place a few times, great bloke. Honest, funny, genuine. 

Andy F

Jim Lancs 11 Jan 2019

That's sad news. He was quite an inspiration when I started out climbing around Lancaster in the mid 70s.

paul mitchell 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

I've had some wobblers on sighting some of Al's routes.I used to think,''nah,can't be hard,it's one of Al's''.Then the pump and the paucity of gear would become evident.

Al was always the nicest opponent in an argument,he never was vindictive.

Windy Ledge will seem  less warm next time I am there.

off-duty 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad to hear.

Blue Roses 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news.  Good he made it back to the UK.

Steve Wetton 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Really sad to read this. What a top bloke. 

bouldery bits 11 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

That's really sad news. 

somethingelse 12 Jan 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

Story about the monkey and main wall trowbarrow is great. Rip Al and thanks for all you have given to the world 

In reply to BlownAway:

Really sad news. Amazing climbing career.

Rehan 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news. First met Al in the mid 70's at the Abraham Moss Centre climbing wall in north Manchester. Many memories of good times climbing in the Peak, Pembroke, Verdon and elsewhere. He climbed more with my brother Nadim than with me. They did some great new routes at Gogarth. A sad loss but glad I knew him.

Post edited at 09:14
Nick Colton 12 Jan 2019

Deepest condelences to Al's family & friends.

Al was a lovely person, very genuine & personable.

He was a really passionate & active climber, did loads of new routes, was an editor of Crags magazineas as well as being a professional photographer and a career TV cameraman.

Respect Al

You'll be greatly missed by many people

Post edited at 13:08
 Postmanpat 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad to hear this. I sparred with him over the years on here and he was always good natured and of course a great source and sharer of information . Mutual friends confirmed he was a genuinely good guy. One of the heartbeats of British climbing.

Footloose 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

He was such a popular poster in UKC that when, due to illness, he suddenly disappeared from here, a few years back, a search party was sent out to make sure he was all right (he wasn't): a real tribute to the affection and respect he inspired in the climbing community. RIP Al.

Puppythedog 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news. I’ve not been around her much for a few years. He was regularly posting in here when I was regularly on here and I enjoyed his contributions .

Doghouse 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad to hear this. Only knew Al on here but he was so obviously one of the good ones.

Removed User 12 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil 

Surely Al deserves a little more than a thread. I hope someone is putting together an article.

Greenbanks 12 Jan 2019
In reply to Removed User:

<Surely Al deserves a little more than a thread>

Was thinking the same myself. The wholly positive response to this news is a reflection of the regard that the mountain community had for Al. Whilst those closest to him will be raw with understandable sadness, it hopefully will come as a support that, to a man/woman, his position as one of the oustanding personalities of the sport is being confirmed. 

So, at an appropriate time, I hope that everyone will get together to establish a fitting memorial to him, whether some kind of award (The AE Peak Prize?) or other recognition. I for one would gladly make a financial contribution to it on a regular basis.

Long may he run.

Tony & Sarah 12 Jan 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Like you, I hope someone will write a tribute to Al, Geoff Birtles and Ian Smith, come to mind. Tony & I have had many great days out climbing with him in Spain and also on Lundy. He will be missed.

Sarah

Padraig 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Another gutted poster..just seen this. 

Knew he had health probs, but shocked..

RIP Al

OP BlownAway 12 Jan 2019

> In reply to Removed UserPhil 

> Surely Al deserves a little more than a thread. I hope someone is putting together an article.

Yes, this has been discussed over the past couple of days, and I believe Keith Sharples is working on a more complete reflection of Al’s life, but for now here is an initial tribute:

https://www.climber.co.uk/news/latest-news/al-evans-has-passed-away.html

Phil

Derek Furze 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

A real shame.  Fond memories.  He followed me once on a minor new route, but managed to make it seem important.  Later, he battled through an after dinner speech at a University Club meet - a thoughtful and engaging talk on Above and Beyond the Kinaesthetic Barrier - while being heckled and dodging a fair bit of food.  He seemed surprised at the audience reaction.  Years later, I kept hoping I'd bump into him in Spain as he developed a crag not far from my apartment, but it didn't happen.  Jean Jeannie, let yourself go.

Raskye 12 Jan 2019

It takes a while  for UKC to react.... it seemed like forever before they even mentioned Bonatti's passing.

Mita 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Really sorry to hear this... If anyone knows of funeral details, i'd love to go pay my respects...

mattrm 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad to hear this.  While I never met Al, over the years, I've enjoyed his posts on UKC.  Rest in peace.

Dave Garnett 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Having learnt my climbing mythology from Crags magazine, it was a special pleasure to run into Al, at the suitably obscure Oxwich Quarry.  Even more amazingly, he claimed to know who was, so I was properly made up!  Thoroughly nice guy, completely lacking in pretension, who made me feel a fraud in his generosity and modesty.

Mick Dewsbury 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Bloody hell, I was thinking about Al yesterday, wondering if he actually had come back to the UK. Sad news indeed. I can still hear that gormless laugh though.

dominic lee 13 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Sad news. I didn’t know Al but I loved Crags in the early days and what a contribution to new routing. RIP.

Jim Fraser 13 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

I am very sorry to hear of Al's passing. I participated in many a spirited UKC debate where he was an active participant.

220bpm 13 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Always came across as a Top Bloke. He'll be missed.

Respects to the family.

Davyray 13 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

This has been quite a blow, Al had been ill for some time but thankfully I managed to visit him in Spain a couple of years ago. I was hoping to catch up with him again when he moved back to the UK but sadly that was not to be. We go back a long way — almost the stone age! Al and I climbed together a lot in the 70's spending many happy hours exploring the Lancashire limestone grubbing around for new problems and such. We both went to college in Blackpool at that time. The memories come flooding back often — formative experiences! He was a big part of my life back then and he will be greatly missed RIP me old mucker.

BrianT 13 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very saddened to hear this. I loved and respected Al, he was a lovely man. We’d not spoken for many years for various reasons but I always missed him and will miss him always. RIP Al. Sorry mate. 

My wife Jude - the JCT in Al’s ‘Confessions of a Climbing Alcoholic’, which is how she used to be known on here, had been in touch with him fairly recently and he sounded ok. She doesn’t post on here any more but she’s posted a bunch of photos of Al on Instagram and started a new hashtag #alevansclimber, for anyone wishing to post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BslMXOhHF8H/

In reply to BrianT:

Everybody has told us about what a good climber Al was,but his lasting reputation will be as a super mate.I had the privelidge of climbing a bit with Tom Proctor and Al just before emigrating to Denmark,and they were simply the best and most genuine people I ever met.Tuesday evenings at Al's house  on Springvale Road for mugs of tea and biscuitswere the highlight of the week apart from the trip to Stoney.Even now 50 years on my keyring has a little alu chock which Al made at work and gave me to remember him by after emigrating.Lovely lad!

tutbury 15 Jan 2019
In reply to BlownAway:

Very sad news. RIP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...