UKC

Spring hiking destination in Europe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonesieboy 14 Jan 2019

I'm looking for a destination for a week's hiking trip in mid April. I have no flexibility about dates, alas, as an alpine hut-to-hut would be ideal but this is too early for that. My buddy has done the Corsica GR already. We did the Tour des Combins last summer and both have high alpine experience but are looking for something rather more chilled out - ideally with good accommodation along the way! I'd love to hear any suggestions. 

GDes 15 Jan 2019
In reply to jonesieboy:

Norway?

Post edited at 14:27
 Red Rover 15 Jan 2019
In reply to GDes:

Wouldnt that be a skiing trip?

LeeWood 15 Jan 2019
In reply to jonesieboy:

The Gredos NW of Madrid should be snow free

In reply to jonesieboy:

Madeira has nice weather in April and there are lots of hikes for a weeks holiday. 

RX-78 15 Jan 2019
In reply to jonesieboy:

My wife has decided that this year we will do the Julian Alps, very trendy, as featured in the guardian recently.

OP jonesieboy 15 Jan 2019
In reply to jonesieboy:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm off to Google them!

Kerry Murphy 29 Jan 2019
In reply to jonesieboy:

What about Mont-Rebei Gorge, Catalonia in Spain?

john arran 29 Jan 2019
In reply to jonesieboy:

This route, a wartime escape passage from France into Spain, is proving popular with my wife's trekking business, and wouldn't be too hard to do independently:

https://freedomtrailtreks.com/product/coastal-freedom-trail-costa-brava/

Seymore Butt 29 Jan 2019
In reply to jonesieboy:

Have you considered Mallorca ?.Lots of good walking and weather, long distance staying in monastery's or day walks.

Rent an apartment and a hire car reasonably cheap, for day walks. Plenty of good guides available. Have been going there for quite a few years now, never been disappointed.

Costa Blanca's good as well. Check out The Costa Blanca walkers website.

Trangia 29 Jan 2019
In reply to jonesieboy:

Canary Islands - La Palma, La Gomera or Gran Canaria.

All have superb hiking, and the weather is generally good,

Otherwise another vote for Majorca

katiep 29 Jan 2019
In reply to jonesieboy:

I'd second Mallorca. I've done the GR221 there - easy to get to with public transport. We did the 100 or so miles in 7 days I think. We stayed in a mix of hotels, super cheap government refuges & bivvyed a couple of times as the refuges weren't all built yet. Nice mix of beaches & hills. We did it in June and frankly it was far too hot, April would be much nicer.

mbh 29 Jan 2019
In reply to jonesieboy:

Cathar Trail in Pyrenees

https://www.audetourisme.com/en/tools/the-cathar-trail.php

We only did three or four (can't remember!) days of it before heading up onto the GR10, in reverse from Foix, but each day was fairly gentle (compared to the GR20) and ended at a castle. 

We flew to Toulouse, then train to Foix.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...