UKC

REVIEW: Climbing Technology Nuptse Evo Crampon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 15 Jan 2019
Nuptse evo montageA classic 12-point crampon that will cover you from winter walking, though mountaineering, to climbing at a respectable level, the Nuptse Evo represents great value for money, says Tom Ripley.

Read more
 TobyA 15 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Good review Tom. I reviewed a pair of these, it turns out, 8 years ago! https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/snow+ice/ice_axes/climbing_technology_nupts... Doesn't seem that long... My pair have been in pretty regular usage since. They are still going strong. I've found that in England and Wales you often just don't get the same amount of snow coverage that you get in Scotland, let alone Norway, and they've actually become my favourite all-rounders BECAUSE of the shorter points (than my Grivel G12s for example). Walking over snow covered scree is less hard on my dodgy ankles for example. I've also found for mixed they can climb as hard as I can, and I've done up to mixed V in them. The binding is still going strong after 8 years and doesn't seem to be wearing out. I used them a week ago on Ben Nevis with some pretty stiff, but otherwise very light and quite low profile Dolomite boots and they worked well on the bit of the steep ice pitch on Gardyloo Gully that I climbed up then (thinking better of it and only having two screws) climbed back down.

The simple bag that comes with them turned out to be my favourite crampon bag too - it works, but weighs less than fancy ones I've bought elsewhere. I ended up using it every time I was out last winter until it was ripped out of my frozen gloved-hand at the top of Kinder Downfall during the first storm day of the Beast from the East last winter. I hope someone else found it and put it to good use.

All round, great crampons and still for a reasonable price.

Stopsy 15 Jan 2019

Any chance of captions on the photos? Or if there are any they're not showing up on my phone. To aid my low burning psyche / guidebook anorak apprenticeship. 

A good in depth review, cheers Tom. Echoes my feelings having used the classic version for a few years now and has seen me right so far! Although I think mine are lacking the anti balling plates which would be a definite improvement! Can they be retro fitted?

Stopsy 17 Jan 2019

No captions on desktop either. Does anyone check these forums for responses?  Also a heal - heel typo in the piece "The bindings on my pair comprise a rear heal clip, and..." 

Any UKC wisdom re: retro fitting anti balling plates?

In reply to Stopsy:

Apologies, I saw these comments shortly after they were posted and made a mental note to follow-up - then I went into a meeting and promptly forgot.

Having just checked the files, there isn't actually a route named within the caption, but if memory serves me correct the bottom left looks like The Vent (II) in Coire an Lochain. There's a little less to go on with some of the other images, but I think it's only sporting for people to get their guesses in before Tom spills the beans.

In the meanwhile I'll let Tom know we're in need of some answers

Post edited at 13:29
 Stopsy 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

The UKC elves certainly do check these forums  Cheers Rob!

Of course, like brain training for the Christmas Quiz 2019...

TobyA 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Stopsy:

Can you buy them separately from CT or are you talking about DIY jobs? I made a reasonably job of making DIY anti-bots for my ancient G12s last winter with some empty big plastic milk jugs, I put some gorrila tape around the edges, punched some holes through and attached them to the crampons with zip ties. A few zip ties broke after the first few days of use, but I've replace them with slightly thicker stronger zip ties.

Robert Durran 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Central Crack Route?

In reply to Robert Durran:

Apparently we're both wrong, but I'll leave Tom to spill the beans at a later date...

Stopsy 17 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

The DIY approach was more what I had in mind so that's excellent, cheers Toby  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...