UKC

ARTICLE: Dave Gregory - A Life Lived to the Full

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 16 Jan 2019
Dave Gregory and Chris Craggs in the costa BlancaA stalwart of British climbing Dave Gregory passed away recently. In this article his long-time climbing partner and good friend Chris Craggs takes a look at 'a life lived to the full'.

Read more
 ams 16 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:   Thanks, Chris, a well-deserved tribute to Dave.  From the archives - before our time?

https://www.frcc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Vol20-1.pdf    p.28 'Still more of Arfon'

Greenbanks 16 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great - a fitting tribute to Dave. A true stalwart.

hdog76 16 Jan 2019

Great write up Chris, even more of a legend now in my mind.

Mick Ward 16 Jan 2019

A lovely tribute, Chris. I so wish I'd known him. My partner met him at a Spanish class, quite a few years ago. She really liked him.

I particularly loved John Addy's comment: 'Hand jamming the cracks to heaven.'

Yes, indeed!

Mick

Simon 16 Jan 2019

Nice tribute, Dave was my physics teacher at Lady Manners and for a loan of the School's climbing gear he asked us to help check his script for Tegness Pinnacle and I never looked back after that.

Is there any news on his funeral arrangements please?

Thanks

Post edited at 23:24
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Simon:

In accordance with Dave's last wishes, there will be no funeral, he donated his body to medical research - one final selfless act I guess.

Instead there will be a Wake on Sunday 10 February at the Red Lion / Peak Edge Hotel in Chesterfield. There will be a tribute to him followed by a pie and pea lunch to give him a good send off. Anyone who knew him is welcome to turn up,

Chris

Post edited at 08:05
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Jan 2019

A very nice comment from Bob Walton on FB:

I had no sense of imminence when I walked over to site #63 many years ago, but Dave and I were already partners who had yet to meet. We discovered this fact at a belay high above Tenaya Lake a couple of days later. My teen son and his buddies were far below us at the north shore beach. We were idling before dealing with the intricate descent from Stately Pleasure Dome. I mentioned that I liked to write about climbing. He sat up straighter and told me he shared that interest. I told him that Roper and Steck had accepted a story of mine for their "Ascent". He sat up straighter still and said that he, too, had contributed to "Ascent". We laughed and stared at each other in surprise. Upon my return home, I discovered that his "The Latter-Day Saint" and my "Spiderman" were next to each other in the 1993 "Best of Ascent". Roper had already introduced us. We just had to discover the fact.

Chros

Simon 17 Jan 2019
 Mick Ward 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Simon:

Wonderful!

Mick

nigel baker 18 Jan 2019

Nicely done Chris.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...