UKC

Lakeland winter with one axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DanForsh 17 Jan 2019

In the spirit of the wonderful "scottish winter mountains with one axe", has anyone got any similar recommendations for routes in the lake district? Looking for grade I to II maximum one day winter mountaineering routes to enjoy! An example would be great end by Cust's Gully and up to Scafell Pike and back. Any ideas?

mrphilipoldham 17 Jan 2019
In reply to DanForsh:

Helvellyn via Striding and Swirral edges

Jack's Rake on to Pavey 

Sharp Edge on to Blencathra

In reply to DanForsh:

Up Nethermost Gully, down Nethermost Pike East Ridge

Or a round of the Nethermost and Dollywagon ridges (grade 0.5)

Up Sharp Edge and Down Hall's Fell

Something like North Gully on Bowfell, then walk over Crinkle Crags maybe? (I've not done this)

Tom the tall 17 Jan 2019
In reply to DanForsh:

I admire your optimism, no sign of a lakes winter yet (although pretty white tops and blue sky today......)

Dave the Rave 17 Jan 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Helvellyn via Striding and Swirral edges

> Jack's Rake on to Pavey 

> Sharp Edge on to Blencathra

Not dissing you as you may well be very good and have done the latter two, but I would certainly not do Jacks Rake in winter condition without a rope and competent partner. Sharp Edge either come to that. Striding I have done with one axe and crampons and very enjoyable it was too.

matt3210 17 Jan 2019
In reply to DanForsh:

Kilnshaw Chimney on Red Screes

Rick Graham 17 Jan 2019

> Helvellyn via Striding and Swirral edges

> Jack's Rake on to Pavey 

> Sharp Edge on to Blencathra

Add on front face of catstycam to Swirral edge.

tagscuderia 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Conditions play their part but... I'm not an experienced winter mountaineer and both Jack's Rake (frozen solid, all ice) and Sharp Edge (snow arete) were straight forward in winter conditions.

Crib Goch, the NR of Tryfan and Bristly were all harder and graded I so I don't think that the 2 Lakeland suggestions are unsuitable. Let's just hope that winter engages at some point!

Done both solo with one axe, and before I knew how to belay even. 

Post edited at 14:56
In reply to DanForsh:

In a really good freeze, sourmilk gill, Buttermere gives 1000 feet of easy angled ice, follow it up with one of the descent gullies on chapel crags then a stroll along the tops to scarth gap and back along the Lakeshore to the village.

Or more cynically, any of the trade route low level ice falls (launchy etc) will be possible with 1 axe, once word gets out they are mobbed and so stepped out you can get by without an axe.

Gerry 17 Jan 2019
In reply to DanForsh:

Just about anything at Grade 1. They were mostly done with an alpenstock and nailed boots originally.

> Done both solo with one axe, and before I knew how to belay even. 

Fair play.

Obviously not advisable for those of a nervous disposition! I didn’t have much to live for at the time..  

You clearly did. 

wercat 18 Jan 2019
In reply to DanForsh:

If it has to be one axe make it a good one! 

I often use one axe, usually a vintage a semi technical alpine type with a steeper curve than a walking axe,  but carry a second if things get stiffer than I am comfortable with but one axe and experience can get you up a lot of things.   You need to gain experience on what you are happy with but don't rush into things too hard with one axe and learn to use it effectively in different conditions.

Occasionally I use wooden axes for sport

Post edited at 10:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...