UKC

BiH (Bosnia & Hercegovina) in winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frank R. 17 Jan 2019

Hello,

have been planning to tour BiH in the winter, in the Bjeljašnica region (right next to Sarajevo, it's a sub-part of the Dinaric Alps, thus karst/limestone plateau). Anybody been there? I have seen the Planinarsko club website, but since my Bosnian is next-to-non-existent, any good advice would be much appreciated  

From the mine danger maps I have seen, Bjeljašnica should be pretty safe, hopefuly?

Since BiH is not a party to EAWS, do they have any published local avalanche danger forecasts, or would we be on our own?

Are the Planinarski domy (local mountain huts) open during the winter, or just upon earlier arrangement with the local club? We are counting on sleeping in tent anyway, but it would be nice to know.

Since it is a karst region and under snow cover, how about the sinkholes?

Thanks

OP Frank R. 16 Feb 2019

Just an update after a quick trip to Bjelasnica in Bosnia for anybody also fancying going there...

There is no avalanche forecast, though you can contact gss.ba (mountain rescue) for some information beforehand. Otherwise, you will be on your own (better rehearse your rutschblocks, proper route planning, weather conditions past days and measuring slope angles).

The mountains are quite beautiful, although somewhat unpredictable, with lots of snow, even though just 2000m high. The center is a gently rolling karst plateau but with sinkholes - quite corniced in winter - so better have a GPS with a safely plotted route ready, in case of a white-out. You probably wouldn't want to drop through one, triggering even a small slide - burying you in possibly the most perfect terrain trap. On the other hand, the ridges were mostly very gentle. Overall, quite nice for a BC ski-tour or snowshoe trip somewhere less known. 

We did not sleep in or near any of the planinarska kuca (mountain huts) there, as we had tents. So I have no idea about them in winter.

There is also plenty of other, more rugged peaks around BiH - the Dinaric Alps are I think one of the most beautiful ranges out there in the Balkans. Other places like Prenj, Treskavica, Visocica looked great as well, although there might be still some UXO and mines left over from the war (especially Prenj, as there was a major front, I believe)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...