UKC

Chulilla - 70m or 80m rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 badgerjockey 21 Jan 2019

Hi,

Off to Chulilla next month! First time so quite excited....

We have a 70m rope, but I wondered whether an 80m is more sensible/essential? We'd be looking at mainly getting on the starred routes in the 6b to 7b bracket.

We only have a week so it's not like we're going to get tons done but I had heard about the general length of the routes on the main crags being 35m+ and would be a bit miffed if we missed out loads of crackers because we didn't have an 80... 

Ta,

H

Dan Arkle 21 Jan 2019
In reply to badgerjockey:

You'll be fine with 70.

Knot the end

jezb1 21 Jan 2019

Well there's plenty of routes that are over 35 so I'd get an 80 all day long. There's plenty to be done at 35 or less, but you won't be able to do all of the routes on offer.

I was in Decathlon in Valenica last week and their 9.5mm rope was 110 euros, bargain.

Post edited at 19:11

I'd definitely get an 80m. There's loads of routes longer than 35m and it's annoying when you don't then have the choice. I always think why travel that far to then limit choice. And still knot the end just in case

Either way you'll have an amazing time, it's my favourite place to climb that I've ever been to, super charming little town, amazing croissants from the shop on the swuare and perfect long pitches. (Admittedly some quite polished feet but it's still amazing!!) Have a brilliant time!! I'm sure you will  

OP badgerjockey 22 Jan 2019

OK cheers for this.

Looking into it, there's some crazy 80m deals out there:

https://bit.ly/2MobX0b

https://bit.ly/2U1e4ts

https://bit.ly/2U8KRwD

Guess I don't really have an excuse...

Anyone got a guide they'd care to sell me?

What would be your must-climb routes between 6b and 7a?

joeldering 22 Jan 2019

I dunno if Long Dong Jhon (6b+) is the best 6b+ in the world, but it's the best I've ever done 

Wayne.Gaudin 22 Jan 2019

I have just bought the new guide, so you can have the old guide for a fiver if you want it.

It's got all the classic routes for the main gorge.

Of you can buy a new one in the climbing shop in the centre of the village.

Wayne.Gaudin 22 Jan 2019

You will really notice the weight of a thick 80m rope when you are 2m from the top of 38m route!

In reply to Wayne.Gaudin:

Its true, the difference between the thin Decathlon rope and the thick Beal rope in that list is over 700g... But then again, when gripped, it'll probably be my lack of climbing ability that stops me from getting to the chains....

I'll get a guide from the village I think.

Post edited at 10:00
 jezb1 22 Jan 2019

Diaganol 6c+

Conglicto Territorial 7a+

Top of theRock 7a

Camina o Revienta 7a

El muro de las lamentaciones 7a

El Ramallito 6c

Hope that helps a bit! Enjoy your trip. Oasis side pretty chilly at the mo, sex shop side gets sun and less breeze.

In reply to jezb1:

Thanks!

Nice blog by the way...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...