UKC

Janak vs Lithang Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ReeceBCooper 21 Jan 2019

I am looking for a bomber waterproof jacket for mountaineering and walking. I was looking at the Mountain Equipment Janak jacket and the Sherpa Lithang Jacket and was wondering on peoples experiences with the two jackets. or maybe you could recommend another jacket preferable under £300.

ShortLock 21 Jan 2019
In reply to ReeceBCooper:

I’ve got the Lithang salopettes and they’re very nice. The fabric feels soft, but they’ve shown no wear so far and they’re definitely breathable. The cut was very wide for the length, so try before you buy if you can- not sure if that’s the same with the jacket.

Post edited at 21:27
 asteclaru 22 Jan 2019

The Himaltec fabric that Sherpa use for the Lithang is really nice (waterproof, breathable, soft-ish, has a bit of stretch), however, despite Sherpa claiming that the hood is helmet-compatible, I've found that it's too small to go over a helmet (I've tried with both my Grivel Stealth and BD Half Dome). Well, it does go over, but then you're left unable to move your head because of the tight fit.

The Janak is a slimmer fit than the Lithang, especially at the shoulders/delts area. I haven't had much luck with ME waterproofs durability-wise, so I've switched to Arcteryx for this reason, however your mileage might vary.

If you don't need to wear a helmet, out of the two I would choose the Lithang (just because I can't be bothered to give ME waterproofs another go). Plus, you should be able to find it for under £200 (I've had two - I paid £100 for my first one, and I think around £150 for my second one)

However, if it doesn't have to be one of these two, I would choose something from either Patagonia (I hear that the Triolet is very good) or Arcteryx (Outside currently have the Alpha AR for £339. Sportpursuit also have Arcteryx deals every 3-4 months)

DrJP 23 Jan 2019

I have the Janak in blue. It's bomber! Did me well in Scotland and some torrential rain in the lakes this winter. Look at the denier rating to check out durability.. I know the ME lhotse is meant to be fantastic, but it's only 40denier and 80 in some places.. Janak is 80 all over.. only drawback is that I'd like an extra pocket.. but the pockets can hold an OS map pretty easily.. I got mine for 170 at the ME warehouse in Hyde... Also follow daz192 on eBay.. think he works at the warehouse. Also good deals from him.

The hood is great.. easily get it over a helmet, and can easily compress when not wearing one

Post edited at 22:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...