UKC

Environment focussed leccy providers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 24 Jan 2019

We are thinking about switching to bulb or something similar, currently with npower. Don't have gas just electric and happy to stick with our normal/non-smart consumer unit.

I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for companies? This is probably a given now but the npower app is really great and makes sending a meter reading and tracking your usage really easy. I presume every company has a good app now but I'd be interested to switch to a provider which has a simliarly useful app.

george570 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Sharp:

I'm with bulb and I find them to do exactly what I expect from an energy supplier. I looked at the Unit rates and the Daily charge rates and both were cheaper than my last supplier so thats all I needed (plus the 100% renewable supply). I too only have electric so can't comment on gas. 

The websites pretty easy to add meter readings to, not sure if theres an app or not but for once a month it doesn't bother me. 

And if you do go with bulb, you'll get a bit of money off with my referral  bulb.co.uk/refer/georgec9414

girlymonkey 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Sharp:

We are with bulb too. Happy with the service 

mullermn 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Sharp:

We’ve also used Bulb with no issues. Recently switched to Pure Planet because they were cheaper, and again no issues so far. 

Pure planet’s ‘thing’ is that they’re entirely online/app based(presumably that’s how they can be cheaper), so they might suck if you need support from them. However since I can’t remember the last time I had to speak to a utility company I decided to take a risk and it’s paid off so far. 

ianstevens 24 Jan 2019
In reply to george570:

Beat me to it!

Jamie Wakeham 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Sharp:

I'm with Ecotricity.  For your criteria I wouldn't recommend them - their interface is not as sophisticated as my previous providers (OVO, who were brilliant, and before them Good Energy). 

However, if you think there's a chance you'll drive an EV soon, then bear in mind that Ecotricity own the motorway services Electric Highway pumps, so you'll want to be with them.  You can access them as a non-customer of Ecotricity but they're much more expensive that way.

jkarran 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Sharp:

I switched gas and electricity to GoodEnergy, the cost was similar to whichever of the big6 I left (I forget). I have a simple meter and I'm not interested in apps so I couldn't say if theirs is any good, they bill me for energy, they answer the phone when I call, they call me if I haven't provided a reading in a while. If I wanted to know how much I'm using I'd get a clamp meter but my house is simple and my energy usage can be well enough tracked in my head. Perfectly happy with them.

jk

nathan79 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Sharp:

Another bulb customer with no issues. A colleague is also with them and says their customer service is great.

Philip 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Sharp:

Beware of "Green Energy Network" who actually have a lower than average amount of renewable in there mix. They do have a 100% renewable option.

Presumably 'renewable only' tariffs can exist up until the total consumption of these accounts equates to the renewable element of the wholesale energy they trade. I expect we're well below that, so is there any indication that this is driving increased renewable?

Would, for example, you be better paying for normal electricity and donating the difference to any charity that is replacing something unsustainable with renewable (eg diesel generator for wind+battery)? The gradual increase in renewable in the UK mix would continue.

RX-78 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Another ecotricity customer, mainly due to their policy of reinvestment and expanding capacity. Also you can sign up for ecotricity bonds when they issue them once in a while. 

OP Sharp 25 Jan 2019
In reply to All: Cheers for everyone's replies, I'll have a look at tarrifs at the weekend and see what the prices compare like for my usage.

annieman 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Sharp:

I've had isues with Bulb. I used the comparison sites armed with the summary of usage from my existing supplier. Bulb came up £200/yr cheaper. (gas and electricity) so I changed supplier. Within 2 weeks they had a price rise. As all of the other suppliers were going through that phase and that it was still £100/yr cheaper I sucked it up. Then two weeks later they claimed that they had been provided with third party information that required them to increase my monthly payment. Based on the fact that I'd provided actual third party info at the time of my search I questioned this. Their main reason was to ensure that I built up enough credit (roughly 2 months) to cover fluctuations in the tariffs and temperatures. Their new monthly rate was £1/month more than my previous supplier.

After protracted discussions they have gone back to honouring the original monthly fee with the rider that I need to be aware that I could be under paying and will be required to make up any shortfall.

With the predicted £200 savings I bought an energy meter for £35. I've used this to weed out all of the little things that are on all of the time for no value that were burning electricity, only pennies, but over a year it'll make a difference.

Bulb have recently reviewed and modified their charges. They have juggled with the standing charges and the energy unit costs. I'm still with them to see what happens.

Good Luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...