UKC

ARTICLE: Grappling with Fear - Mid Climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 30 Jan 2019
Elaine smiling her way to the top of a classic route in Sella, Costa Blanca.Sally Lisle shares four simple (but not necessarily easy) tools to help you grapple with fear when it kicks in mid climb...

If you are operating on the cusp of controlling/losing control of your fear response, it is highly valuable to have a few techniques up your sleeve to manage your fear when you really need to. This article talks through four specific practical fear management strategies to apply during your climb and exactly why they work. They can be used together or independently. I have used and taught these methods countless times with great success.

Read more
 Tyler 30 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

Next week, number 5: Shouting for someone to lower a rope down!

Rick Graham 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Tyler:

> Next week, number 5: Shouting for someone to lower a rope down!

Just hope it is not the person at the top  who told me this story.

Lowers a rope to just out of reach of a panicking leader, then pulls it away, saying " climb it you B....."

True tale, not nice.

To my phantom disliker, I was not involved.

Michael Gordon 30 Jan 2019
In reply to treesrockice:

There may be a difference there, as MacLeod I think is talking about maximising performance rather than dealing with fear (obviously the two are connected though). I don't know if it is positive thinking or just a best stab at a realistic assessment, but I often find I think/say to myself 'that gear is good' when trying to commit to something. I find shouting down to my partner "the gear's good so no reason not to go for it" can also be handy now and again.

Bulls Crack 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Maybe adopt the Jerry approach: 'The gear's rubbish, I'm about to fall off but I'm one hell of a gal/guy'

That'll be £50

LeeWood 31 Jan 2019

I have one partner with a bizarre habit: when poised beneath a crux section on lead, he sometimes insists I take  photograph. But I say, "it won't come out, all I can see is your arse and there's too much backlighting". Response "Look I'm not going on until you take a photograph so just take one anyway!'

But maybe this is not so strange. When I am on lead at such moments I often seek assurance from my belayer - "Are you with me?". Given that all the rest is in order (knots, gear etc) finally what we need is  that critical knowledge 'I am not alone' - idem for so many other trials of life   

Removed User 31 Jan 2019

What's wrong with shaking like a shitting dog for a while and then manning up?

McHeath 01 Feb 2019

That second photo is a brilliant example of mid-climb fear ("Elaine smiling her way ... ") ... had the photo editor read the article?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...