UKC

Winter climbing goggles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimmysdead 07 Feb 2019

Like many people I use my ski goggles to climb with when the snow is blowing.

However I always find they greatly reduce my field of vision below my chest and end up with my chin on my chest whenever I need to look down for gear or foot placements.

Anyone got any advice on different eyewear to use from different sports or industry that you've found to work for you?

subtle 07 Feb 2019
In reply to jimmysdead:

Man up, ditch the goggles, but don't go out in absolute hoolies

Alpenglow 07 Feb 2019
In reply to jimmysdead:

I have some Julbo clear goggles that work really well.

Similar to these:

https://m.needlesports.com/55553/products/julbo-plasma-cat-0-clear-lens-gog...

1philjones1 07 Feb 2019
In reply to jimmysdead:

Bolle Cobra safety goggles. Clear lens, very small and light and less than a tenner on Amazon. Work really well if you don’t want tinted lens.

Sharp 08 Feb 2019
In reply to 1philjones1:

Perhaps it's just me but I find those kinds of goggles next to useless in bad weather, at least whenever I've worn them they've misted up pretty badly with or without something over your mouth. Even just working under the car when it's chilly they mist up, in the hills they are small and light in the bag but that's about the end of their positive attributes. Spending £25 extra on a pair of clear ski goggles will be money well spent if you wear goggles a lot.

I tend to pull a buff up over my face and with a hood cinched down and the tails of the buff sticking out around your eyes it keeps the worst off. I've often thought about making a velcro piece of fur to go around the outside of a waterproof hood like the innuits have, I think that would work well. I just don't get on with goggles.

Post edited at 09:42
 Tim Davies 08 Feb 2019
In reply to Sharp:

Same , bought a pair and misted up instantly, more trouble trying to clean them

1philjones1 08 Feb 2019
In reply to Sharp:

I’ve worn them on many occasions in  Wales/Scotland in very windy cold conditions with spindrift/ice crystals blowing everywhere. Not had a problem with them. I apply to anti-mist spray each time I go out and it works for me. I guess everyone is different. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...