UKC

ARTICLE: 51 Degrees North - Winter Climbing in South Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 13 Feb 2019
The aesthetic central rib (II)David Kilner shares some local knowledge for South Walian Winter climbing, inspired by Toby Archer's popular 'Chasing the Very Bloody Ephemeral article on winter climbing in England and North Wales...

One statement stood out from Toby's article while describing the geographical whos and wheres: "Geordies are virtually in Scotland anyway, while Bristolians and those further south should probably just sell their ice tools." It nagged at me, but I couldn't let it go…we'd seen so much winter in South Wales last year that something needed to be said – people need to know what South Wales has to offer and maybe talking about it will make it all come back and the cold settle in.

Read more
pasbury 13 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great article. I only wish I could have got there last winter!

Southvillain 14 Feb 2019

Nice piece, thanks. I was on Pen-Y-Fan/Corn Du on 2nd Feb (walking), and the effect of a proper cold week before/during the snowfall was obvious - no snow scooting off wet turf underfoot as you descend; almost alpine-like powder snow where it hadn't melted/re-frozen. It was beautiful. As you say, when you live in the SW you just have to get out when you can, you may only get a couple of chances each winter. By the following Monday, after a huge rainstorm, the Beacons were green again..

Tim Sparrow 14 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC Articles: Blyn y Gwyn? Blaen y Glyn!! Must have had your  winter gloves on while typing! Nice article.  Keeps the dreaming alive.

Martin Rees 15 Feb 2019

I'm surprised that Tim has only mentioned one spelling error.

Craig Cwm Ddu should be Du (Cwm is a masculine word and does not mutate the adjective which follows it).Several corrections needed

Rhaeder should be Rhaeadr

Lluest  does not mean Virgin but tent or camp

The Caerfanell horseshoe (never heard it called the Central Beacons horseshoe in 50 years) is not part of Torpantau and is separated from it by Nant Bwrefwr.It is only when you mention the bomber memorial that one realises you are referring to the Blaen Caerfanell downfall not the Gorlan Tyn y Waun downfall in Torpantau (just as impressive).

I am surprised that no mention is made that the North scarps of Cribyn, Pen y Fan and Corn Du are SSSI's with rare and unique plant life which could be endangered by gully and rib climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...