UKC

When Everest is just "warm up training" ....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 15 Feb 2019

……...for greater challenges.

This podcast with Joe Rogan and Colin O' Brady, who is the 1st person to walk across Antarctica unassisted, is quite impressive:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Gtrg6R7b3w&

In reply to Removed User:

Was he? 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/expedition+alpine/colin_obrady-698069

very interesting comment from Damo on the linked thread.

Removed User 15 Feb 2019
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I think that its fair to question all of these kinds of achievements but, in truth, they are all a little contrived. Do you really climb Everest if you don't start from the sea?

So I get it. But in the end it was still a remarkable achievement and I think it is worth listening to the guy's story. He doesn't really come across as a chest thumbing knob.

In reply to Removed User:

Sorry, I got as far as 1:01 (out of over two hours...!) before switching off. His first sentence repeats the claim which is pretty conclusively rebutted in Damo’s posts. In your Everest analogy, it’s like he’s claimed a sea level start ascent of Everest, carrying all his supplies and avoiding any human infrastructure like roads on the way, when he actually started at the Nepal border and walked up the path.

Yes, it’s a tremendous achievement; just not the one he’s claiming it is (according to people that know much more about this than me)

and im usually a big fan of swearing; when used well it can be powerful and hilarious (see Billy Connolly and “Jesus suffering f*ck...”); but Joe Rogan seems an example of how not to use it well, to my taste anyway. Certainly not tempted to listen to the remaining 2 hours. 

Compare that to the interview with Alex Honnold on bbc sounds posted on here recently- that was an insightful and compelling conversation about a genuinely historic achievement. 

Removed User 15 Feb 2019
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Each to their own.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...