UKC

Twin skin marathon socks - what do you use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ma-ding 18 Feb 2019

Hi all

Horses for courses and all that but what marathon socks are people using? Training for my first 26.2 at the moment and I've been using Hily twin skins and they're pretty comfortable and keep my feet largely blister free (double layered just seems to work for me) ... but I find them a bit thick/hot/tight fitting overall.

Anything similar to the Hilys but maybe a bit thinner (still twin skin) worth having a look at?

Thanks in advance, M

Dark-Cloud 19 Feb 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

I used the hilly ones for a while but have gradually gone back to single skin for everything.

I also used the 1000 mile ones which were slightly less bulky than the Hilly ones, trouble there is loads of models and I can’t remember the name of the particular one, possibly this one 

https://1000mile.co.uk/Running/1000-mile-ultimate-tactel-sock-1177

bouldery bits 19 Feb 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

I like 1000 mile liner socks. 

yorkshireman 19 Feb 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

I think the anti-blister socks cause more problems than they solve and as you mention make your feet hot, which is a problem for blisters - I run 1500 miles a year including up to 100 miles ultras and rarely get blisters - if I do it's down to feet getting drenched, or getting grit/dirt in the shoe and not sorting it out in time which shouldn't really be a problem in a road marathon. 

The few times I've run a marathon I've just used the thin, cheap pair of Puma socks I always buy online. If you're getting blisters I'd worry more that your shoes aren't fitting properly and fix that, rather than trying fancy socks which are only addressing the symptom and not the cause.

There's probably an element of your feet hardening up/getting used to it over time as well. Also as with any running advice, what works for you might be irrelevant for everyone else.

DancingOnRock 19 Feb 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

Sports Direct Everlast £3.99 for 3 pairs.

ianstevens 19 Feb 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

Alpkit do some nice double-layer socks. Although to be honest, they're a bit gimmicky IMO - a pair of quality (i.e. not from Sports Direct/Decathalon etc...) running socks will see you through. I tend to use salomon socks and have never had blisters at any distance, including skyraces.

The Potato 19 Feb 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

I prefer to use my usual single skin running socks with a thin liner underneath

Ferret 19 Feb 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

I'm with Yorkshireman on this but definitely what works for one doesn't for another.

For what little it's worth (as it's not what you have asked for) I live in More Mile socks which at around a tenner per 5 pack roughly are great value, fit me well (good range of sizes) and are very hard wearing.... and I never get blisters bar 'injury' i.e. dirt/shoe failure or long term soaking on ultras.

And they do kids size ones too so my (tiny) 6 year old (child size 11...) and my hulking 9 year old (already in size 5 shoes) have their own 'proper' sports socks for parkrun et al. Little else has caused so much happiness and excitement as 'proper socks' for such a modest outlay...      What joy, children excited by socks.

The New NickB 19 Feb 2019
In reply to Ferret:

I use More Mile socks, my club gets them in bulk from Start Fitness and we give them away at our races, currently cost us £1.20 a pair, although I liked the ESAC ones (same socks) as they were free of VAT so only cost us £1.

climberchristy 19 Feb 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

Another shout for More Mile London socks. I've run various marathons and several 35 to 40 mile ultras in them with no issues. 5 pairs for tenner in go outdoors. Last fairly well for such a cheap price. As Yorkshireman says blisters at marathon distance shouldn't really be an issue if shoes fitting well?

OP ma-ding 23 Feb 2019

Late reply but thanks all for the comments and recommendations.

Cheers, M

wbo 23 Feb 2019
In reply to ma-ding: .the worst blisters I ever had were caused by double skin socks - I use Nike dri fit thin socks - work well for every thing, last for years

Stig 23 Feb 2019
In reply to wbo:

I agree with others, I really dislike twin socks. Hard to get on and too hot.

i really like injinji socks for race day. Too much of a faff for everyday but they are brilliant for preventing any chafing.

Removed User 23 Feb 2019
In reply to Stig:

Decathlon twin socks are wonderful I never set out on a long run without them,

SouthernSteve 23 Feb 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

These have become my favourite socks - Hilly Men's Ultra Marathon Fresh Running Socks - they seems to fit my feet really well and aren't too tight on the Achilles. In the past, when my feet were more tender, I found tight compression socks reduced blisters, but I prefer a looser fit now. When I have blistered it has been sole and toe more than heel. 

Dark-Cloud 24 Feb 2019
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Second those ones, I spent years finding a good sock and these work for me too, not cheap though but you can find them for around a tenner a pair if you look around, last pretty well too.

OffshoreAndy 02 Apr 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

another thumbs up for injinji socks. The compression ones are good for longer efforts although trying to change them mid race would be the living end.

JuneBob 02 Apr 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

In my experience socks don't make up for a well fitting shoe. I found a shoe that fits well for me and bought as many pairs as I could. I run in whatever socks I happen to be wearing (including Happy socks with images of cats sewn in) and never have any issues.

Conversely I tried some new shoes last year with "proper" running socks, and my feet were hosting a blister convention after the race because the shoe didn't fit quite as well (even though it was  the trail version of my road shoe)

My point is, if you're getting blisters, maybe consider shoe fit, foot beds, how you tie your laces, etc. as well as just changing socks.

summo 02 Apr 2019
In reply to ma-ding:

I just use all my double skin socks for walks and short training. Had them shift, fold, create hot spots etc. on long events. I've a variety of types of single skin ones, all are good, some must be for kids though as they help you learn which is left and right.  

Post edited at 14:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...