UKC

Best training facilities in Newcastle upon Tyne

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Freeman 20 Feb 2019

I'll be moving to Newcastle later this year and was wondering which centre is the best for bouldering + general training. I'm looking for somewhere with at least a beastmaker 2000/1000, gymnastic rings or TRX straps, training board or moonboard and one or two good slabs. Pull-up bars, weights, a campus board and some well set problems would be bonuses. I'm not necessarily looking for the biggest climbing centre, although a large bouldering wall would obviously be good. Can anyone recommend a centre like that? Proximity to Newcastle university would be a plus. Thanks!

deepsoup 20 Feb 2019
In reply to Alex Freeman:

That's an easy one. 

https://www.climbnewcastle.com/

Post edited at 11:06
OP Alex Freeman 20 Feb 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Aha that's the one I had my eye on, I just wanted to ask to see if I was missing anything obvious!

Emilio Bachini 20 Feb 2019

Get downstairs in The Valley basement, covers everything you’ve mentioned.

The route setting upstairs is top notch in my opinion.

The only way I could fault it is they reset so often for someone like me who goes maybe once a week but if you’re going multiple times a week it can only be a good thing.

Great wall, places could learn a lot from it. 

Post edited at 11:45
 spenser 20 Feb 2019

If I were to live in Newcastle again I would probably alternate between Climb Newcastle and The Valley. I believe that membership of one gets you access to both (they are owned by the same people), good setting and a friendly crowd. For sheer convenience from Newcastle University you would be hard pushed to beat the Berghaus Wall in Eldon Leisure, however it doesn't have the same range of training equipment or rate of resetting as the walls I have mentioned above.

In reply to Emilio Bachini:

Fantastic, sounds like it'll be my second home once I'm there. Thanks!

In reply to spenser:

Seems like there's a lot of centres in a relatively small area! I'll probably visit different ones from time to time but it sounds like The Valley will be the go to for training purposes. I may try to get a flat somewhere between the university and The Valley, to make it as convenient as possible. 

In reply to deepsoup:

> That's an easy one. 

That’s a brilliant wall, run by really nice people.

deepsoup 20 Feb 2019
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

That it is, absolutely top notch.

deacondeacon 22 Feb 2019

In reply to cristian555:

I'd probably concentrate on my own punctuation & grammar before criticising others on an open forum.

Just saying. 

Emilio Bachini 22 Feb 2019

On another note if you decided you wanted to throw on a harness and climb some longer things, Sunderland wall and ROF 59 are some of the tallest walls in the U.K. and not too far of a drive. 

mp3ferret 22 Feb 2019

Also NewBurn - doesn't get reset so often - ropes only (or auto belay) but dirt cheap and usually not full of tossers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...