UKC

Help! Intense arch pain while skate skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
UsherBhai 05 Mar 2019

Hello everyone,,

I skied the birkiebeiner 50k skate race last weekend. Before I got to the power lines, by calves and arches were burning.

My arches tend to burn for the first 2-5 kilometers of any training ski late in the season (late January, early February), but it goes away eventually. I read somewhere online that 9 times out of 10 that arch pain when skate skiing is due to tight boots. So I loosened them up and it seemed to work.

But, Saturday it didn’t go away. It only got worse. And worse.

In particular, my right arch burned to the point where I almost quit. I winced every time I pushed off. I thought I was going to tear something. It burned. I could’t push off my big toe. It was debilitating.

I was able to finish. But I could barely walk. My arch was puffy, purplish and tender to the touch. The side of my foot is still tender now four days later.

My boots may have been too tight. I didn’t make them any tighter than usual, but it could be the issue.

My boots could also be too small. Although, my boots are a half size larger than my shoes.

The conditions were also pretty soft. It was snowed earlier in the week and it was snowing at the start. It was pretty warm, which made the snow heavy.

When I was describing the situation to friends in the beer tent, someone overheard me and said their arches hurt as well.

So maybe everyone’s arches were burning.

Maybe if I loosened up my boots, I’ve been OK.

Maybe my technique is garbage.

Has anyone dealt with extreme arch pain while skate skiing?

Max Hangs 05 Mar 2019
In reply to UsherBhai:

Do you have any footbeds in the boots? The custom ones can be a bit aggressive, especially if the boots are tight as well, or they've been made badly (the footbeds, that is).

Edit: any problems with over-support on the arch of the footbeds will be more pronounced when skating compared to normal skiing, I would have thought.

Post edited at 11:25
 Dan Arkle 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Max Hangs:

I'm a year into having some stubborn plantar fasciitis. This sounds similar. I'd just advise to take it very easy in the near future to reduce the chances of it getting chronic. Its very hard to rest your feet if it gets worse. 

Best wishes 

summo 05 Mar 2019
In reply to UsherBhai:

Are your shoes/ankle boots a good fit. Does it feel like you are over tightening the mid foot to help hold your heel in place?  

It sounds like you are compressing and bruising the tissue, rather than muscle fatigue or ache from being worked hard. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...