UKC

Snow Socks in the Alps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 whenry 05 Mar 2019

I'm driving to the Alps next week to go skiing, and realise that you need snow chains. Unfortunately, I've just discovered that snow chains aren't recommended with my car/ wheels (2008 Saab 93, 17" rims). Are snow socks a legal alternative? One manufacturer claims they have been legal since 2010, but apart from their website I've not seen much information online about it.

Does anyone what the situations is with snow socks (or whether there are newer snow chains that have less clearance that will fit my car?

Thanks!

subtle 05 Mar 2019
In reply to whenry:

Oooh, your not driving a 2009 Saab 93 in the Alps, in snow conditions are you - best change for a hire car If I were you.

rexybo 05 Mar 2019
In reply to whenry:

Where in the Alps? Legal requirements are different between different countries and between different cantons in Switzerland.

OP whenry 05 Mar 2019
In reply to rexybo:

Good point! France (Valloire).

kevin stephens 05 Mar 2019
In reply to whenry:

I would get winter tyres on sensible 16 inch steel rims to match the bolts on your hubs (obviously same tyre outer circumference). They’re cheap when purchased with and pre fitted with winter tyres. Plenty of on line retailers that can advise based on your car model or even reg number

Reach>Talent 05 Mar 2019
In reply to whenry:

You definitely see snow socks in the French resorts but I was under the impression that you needed winter tyres as well?

OP whenry 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Winter tyres aren't a legal requirement in France, but snow chains (or possibly socks) are legally required to be carried in certain areas... hence my question about whether they are ok.

French Erick 06 Mar 2019
In reply to whenry:

You wouldn't be fine, the gendarmes would just stop you from going any further...like snow gates do in the UK.

It would also depend on how much snow for the gendarmes to make their call, vehicle types and whether you are a local known to use the road year round in all weather (no point in shouting unfair to them-it won't work). Even this can fail- my sister keeps a pair of snow racket in her car since she was stopped last winter and finished her journey to work on foot arriving 2 hours later than usual but almost 24 hours before any other workers not lodging in the resort itself!

Doug 06 Mar 2019
In reply to French Erick:

I've seen the gendarmes stopping cars at the start of the access route to a ski area & only letting those with chains go any further, maybe they would accept snowsocks but I'm not sure. Although I suspect they'll also let known locals (who will almost certainly have winter tyres) go past. I've also heard of them only allowing cars with winter tyres or snow chains go past but that must be harder to check, especially in poor weather

kevin stephens 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Doug:

I’ve often seen gendarmes checking tyres with a torch looking for the snowflake symbol. It only takes one car with summer tyres to block a road full of cars equipped with winter tyres

Post edited at 12:42
 Martin W 06 Mar 2019
In reply to kevin stephens:

> I would get winter tyres on sensible 16 inch steel rims to match the bolts on your hubs (obviously same tyre outer circumference).

That last point is a bit simplistic IMO.  The OP did say that chains aren't recommend with his 17" wheels.  Switching to 16" wheels but fitting tyres with a larger sidewall so as to end up with the same overall radius would quite likely (depending also on the width of the tyre) still leave him with a risk of the chains fouling the wheel arch, or something important within it.  This is especially relevant with a front-wheel drive car, since the front wheels have a larger dynamic envelope (ie they move around more inside the wheel arch, because they do the steering as well as the driving).

I'd be surprised if the owner's manual doesn't have fairly clear advice as to what wheel & tyre combinations are recommended for the OP's car if the use of snow chains is required.

Another consideration is the legality of different wheel & tyre sizes if they aren't a combination that has been type-approved for the car.  The owner's manual shouldn't recommend any combination that isn't.  Any other combination may be problematic with the insurer of the vehicle (if they are told about it), or with the authorities should an accident occur.

OP whenry 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin W:

I don't think switching to different wheels is an option. The problem is a combination of large brake rotors and limited clearance around the wheel. I've seen today that Halfords sell snow socks that they claim are accepted as snow chains by the French, so I'll get some and cross my fingers...

I'm going to put winter tyres on. They're not required, but are probably a good idea.

kevin stephens 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin W:

I think you misunderstood my post. I was proposing the best way to fit winter tyres, which in many cases will reduce or delay the need to fit chains, at which point snow socks could be deployed instead. I use this approach when fitting winter tyres to my car, relaxing the 17 inch alloy rims with 16 inch steel rims. (Incidentally the space saver spare wheel is also a 16 inch rim with deeper tyre) The authorised dealer has never commented when I’ve taken it for service (still under warranty) . Also most (if not all) insurance companies do not see winter tyres as a notifiable modification . Of course need to check compatibility with the brakes, which wasn’t a problem on my car

Post edited at 13:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...