UKC

Parking at The Roaches?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy2 06 Mar 2019

It’s been years, or rather decades, since I last went to the Roaches. In those days, there were various parking opportunities on the road below the crag, but I think it’s changed a bit now?

I’ve read about a park and ride system, which only operates from the end of March. What should I do if I want to visit on a Saturday in mid March? Park below Hen Cloud? Park at Roach End?

Thanks

tjdodd 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy2:

You will be fine parking on the road below the crag.  Get there reasonably early.

joeldering 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy2:

Parking is fine, but go very early or very late. There are clearly marked parking spaces, and last time I was there anyone parked outside of those spaces had been given a ticket.

Luke90 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy2:

> What should I do if I want to visit on a Saturday in mid March?

Pray to the weather gods?

mcdougal 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy2:

The bus hasn't run for years now, although for some unknown reason, the bus stop is still there. You're almost certain to find a parking space if you arrive before 9.30 - 10am. 

Prof. Outdoors 06 Mar 2019
In reply to joeldering:

There are clear designated parking bays and no waiting signs everywhere else. Went up on the last warm weekend and cars were everywhere, side of the road, on the grass, absolutely rammed. No sight of any parking tickets issues. Does not mean that would be the case on other occasions though.

(Huge number of people bouldering but not many doing roped climbing)

Graeme Hammond 06 Mar 2019

Plenty of tickets issued when I was there in November, I counted 15+ cars with tickets. Basically anyone not in a proper bay regardless if they were fully on the grass (signs say marked bays only) I had arrived late and although conditions were poor and almost no one was climbing or bouldering the place was rammed with cars so had to drive up and down (all the way back past hen cloud and back) a few times before I found a space. Was pleased though to see the two bell ends parked facing a large blue sign "turning area No parking"  had got tickets. People should get points on their licence for that! Was much more difficult to turn round in my small car, would be difficult to impossible for larger vehicles like a motor home, tractor or larger emergency vehicles.

Offwidth 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Well said. My experience is people breaking the rules usually do get ticketed at weekends so you need to arrive early (10am may be too late). It's very popular with walkers who seem better at getting out of bed than the average modern crag climber. Another way to avoid parking issues is to camp at Hen Cloud. Alternately, climb at one of the other excellent local venues.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...