UKC

ME Citadel v Rab Photon X

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John R 09 Mar 2019

I know it's been asked before, but can't seem to unearth the thread. Have narrowed my search down to (probably) one of these two. Would be interested to hear thoughts from regular users of either . Specifically, does the Citadel, though marginally warmer, prove a pain to pack and carry? And does the Photon provide enough warmth for seriously cold and possibly damp belays? Any other suggestions also welcome, but haven't found another serious contender that is actually available. 

jezb1 09 Mar 2019
In reply to John R:

I’ve used both and would be happy with either, but prefer the Citadel.

Its a big bulky but no so much as to be a pain, for me, but I love how warm it is!

OP John R 09 Mar 2019
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks for that; you bear out the way my thoughts are going, but it will be interesting to hear if others find differently.

richgac 09 Mar 2019
In reply to John R:

I own both but use the photon x far more. The difference for me is that the photon is packable in a sensible sized stuff sac for carrying on my harness and the citadel is not. I don’t like climbing with a pack. 

The citadel is of course warmer but the photon has been fine for my season of ice climbing in Norway, Canada and the alps. I do run warm though. 

The only gripe i have with the photon is that rab seem to have changed the cut on their jackets at some point recently such that they are tighter around the chest than they used to be. 

LucaC 09 Mar 2019
In reply to John R:

I'm sure I've posted this before somewhere here... I had the old citadel which I wore out after a few seasons, and I didn't like the cut of the new one. The Photon seemed a better fit when sized up to go over all my layers, and I'm really happy with it 2 seasons in now. As mentioned, it's also a bit more packable than the Citadel. They both are plenty warm enough for a nasty protracted Scottish belay. 

ColdWill 09 Mar 2019
In reply to John R:

I use the Fitzroy and love it for Scotland due to the cut. I would still go with the Rab Photon x against the Citadel though as the Citadel is jus too big imo. I have a gillet I can add if things get really cold but never have. As has been said above, too big and bulky.

Plus you can get some excellent deals on the Photon at the moment  

Post edited at 19:22
 DanielJ 09 Mar 2019
In reply to ColdWill:

> Plus you can get some excellent deals on the Photon at the moment  

Where are those sweet deals?

ColdWill 09 Mar 2019
In reply to DanielJ:

My bad, facewest 25% off but only small left.

OP John R 11 Mar 2019
In reply to John R        Any other views before I take the plunge? Many thanks to those who have contributed their opinions of both. It's still quite a close call; I'll probably go for the Rab, mainly for its  packability, but also because I generally run pretty warm and can always boost it if necessary.

jezb1 11 Mar 2019
In reply to ColdWill:

> I use the Fitzroy and love it for Scotland due to the cut.

Wish I could get away with a Fitzroy, I've had one, but I'm soft and feel the cold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...