UKC

XS women's harness recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 eb202 16 Mar 2019

Hello, I'm looking for advice on buying a harness please.

I’m looking to replace my Black Diamond Primrose harness soon. I’m trying to find something with 5 gear loops (ideally), with adjustable leg loops, that will go down to 25 inches around the waist. Apparently I also have an unusually high rise. 

Looking at the size guides for several manufacturers, not many seem to make anything that goes small enough. Of those that do, so far I’ve tried the DMM Puma, BD Technician, Petzl Luna (rise too low) and the Arcteryx AR385A (waist too big – I was being hopeful here!).

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other harnesses to try? 

Thanks

In reply to eb202:

Hmm...tricky. I would have suggested DMM Puma or Petzl Luna as top picks for the small waist and 5 loops combo but agree that Petzl lack rise in the smaller sizes.

Try the CT Anthea? 6 loops (4 normal and 2 mini) and double buckle adjustment? 

jamscoz 16 Mar 2019
In reply to eb202:

The DMM Vixen - slightly less lumbar support(?) But still 5 gear loops (at your size), 5g lighter and a bit cheaper?

Sealwife 16 Mar 2019
In reply to eb202:

Rock Empire do a woman’s harness in a “slight” fitting.  https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/women-039-s-3b-slight-climbing-harness-aqua-xs/

Might be a fit for you.

In reply to jamscoz:

Good call - like the Puma, props to the floating waist belt for fitting the gear loops in on small sizes.

Re: CT I obviously meant 5 (4 and 1) respectively in XS. 

GavClayton 17 Mar 2019
In reply to eb202:

Wild country used to go down to quite small in their old harness range. I bought the smallest size womens “vision” harness for my daughter when she outgrew her kids full body harness. It now fits my 8 year old son. 

Looking for similar now, the smallest size ( Xs ) in this says 66cm waist (25.98inches). No idea about the rise sorry.

https://rockrun.com/collections/womens-harnesses/products/wild-country-miss...

BAdhoc 17 Mar 2019
In reply to Rebecca Ting - UKC and Rockfax:

Just a note on the Luna, it might have 5gear loops technically but on mine the rear ones are tiny! Because of this wear the harness for shorter sport routes now, it’s too cramped for trad.

This thread is great, I’m also looking for a similar fit harness!

In reply to BAdhoc:

Interesting - is that the “new” Luna (purple) or the old model? 

OP eb202 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Rebecca Ting - UKC and Rockfax:

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought about CT. I'll keep an eye out next time I'm in a gear shop!

OP eb202 18 Mar 2019
In reply to jamscoz:

Thanks, I think I may have tried the Vixen too actually (losing track!), but might worth a look. 

OP eb202 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Sealwife:

Thanks, I've not heard of Rock Empire before, but will keep an eye out for one to try. 

OP eb202 18 Mar 2019
In reply to BAdhoc:

I suppose you can only fit so many loops on a relatively small piece of material! 

One suggestion someone did make for situations when you want to carry lots of gear on a smaller harness is to use ice clippers. Perhaps worth a try.

To be honest I don't often find myself in a situation where I need 5 gear loops, but on longer pitches they can get cramped, making it difficult to find what you want. Not the end of the world I guess, just inconvenient. Maybe I should just carry less stuff! 

In reply to eb202:

Ice clippers - interesting! Clipping one draw to the gear loop then tiering them down with other draws clipped to the top krab on that draw was also a revelation for my friend with a similar challenge. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...