UKC

Snakes and Ladders - what adventure comes next?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 josh12345 19 Mar 2019

Hello,

I'm after some collective wisdom. Last year me and my brother went and did Snakes and Ladders. It was awesome fun and we are keen to do something similar again this year, but we're not sure what. The previous year we did the Snowdon horseshoe together. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what we could do this summer that is similarly adventurous for a day or weekend?

He climbs indoors but has very little outside so I'm not that keen on suggesting something purely climbing based, he's fine with some climbing and scrambling through. We are both good on mountain bikes so that could be an option. One idea we had talked about was to cycle up Snowdon, but there are just so many people it'd probably have to be in the middle of the night to get anything like a clear run. Snakes and ladders reminded me quite a bit of via ferrata but I've done the Honister one and it didn't seem that great (and it was expensive), so I'm not that keen to go back there. In terms of locations we could get to in weekend, i think the only areas of the UK we couldn't get to are the SW, SW wales and anywhere north of Edinburgh / Glasgow.

Any suggestions welcome, thank you

In reply to josh12345:

>One idea we had talked about was to cycle up Snowdon, but there are just so many people it'd probably have to be in the middle of the night.....

it should be before 10am or after 5pm if done between May and September - 

http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/snowdn_volunt.htm

guy127917 19 Mar 2019
In reply to josh12345:

2 day hike/camp/bivvy/bothy in the Cairngorms- something like from Aviemore station up Braeriach and back to the ski center, probably not in winter

Post edited at 13:56
 Oceanrower 19 Mar 2019
In reply to josh12345:

Similar but completely different, the Croesor Rhosydd through trip...

https://www.urbextour.com/en/croesor-rhosydd-through-trip/

Northern Star 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

> Similar but completely different, the Croesor Rhosydd through trip...

Ermmmm, not similar to Snakes and Ladders - a completely different and more serious proposition.

Without good knowledge of the mine itself, SRT technique etc. the CR through trip has the potential to be many many times more lethal than Snakes and Ladders.  Unless you know someone who is suitably SRT trained, and/or an experienced caver who can accompany you, and you have all the appropriate gear then it's not one I would recommend. 

Nothing is going to convince the landowner to permanently seal off this mine quicker than an accident or rescue call out to someone inexperienced found in here.

rj_townsend 19 Mar 2019
In reply to josh12345:

Not cheap but pretty good value for a day of underground fun... http://www.go-below.co.uk/Ultimate-Xtreme.asp

Paul Sagar 19 Mar 2019
In reply to josh12345:

Tryfan North Ridge is a great outing, and you can combine it by going down the South Ridge, then up the next mountain along, then back down and around to turn back towards and into Ogwen. Should take between 3-5 hours depending on how leisurely your pace is. Lovely views down the valley, and it's good fun doing the hop from Adam to Eve so as to mark your ascent. Feels like a real challenge because you need some basic scrambling competence to get to the top of Tryfan, and it's not usually horrifically busy.

The North Ridge is described in the North Wales Scrambles book, and I think also in the little 10 Ridge Walks and Scrambles in Snowdonia book.

Post edited at 15:12
 RM199 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Northern Star:

Have done the through trip many times. It is excellent and varied.

I agree with you to a point. committing to the through trip would be risky, but going for  a careful explore is fair enough, and learning it from both ends would be good fun.

Re SRT, all the pitches are pretty short so I don’t see why an experienced climber couldn’t use lanyards, descenders and prussik to pass them all safely.

Finally, something I would definitely recommend if going for a look. Leave a call out with a loved one stating exactly when and where your going in case you get lost/ a light fails or whatever. It’s much less obvious to others than on the hill.

Enjoy

Ramblin dave 19 Mar 2019
In reply to josh12345:

Ennerdale - bike, walk, route on Pillar Rock, wildcamp etc.

Or, just about south of Edinburgh / Glasgow, how about Arran? Park on the mainland, get the ferry over with bikes, use the bikes to get into Glen Rosa with a tent, camp (tame or wild) and do some classic scrambles / easy climbs like A' Chir or Sou Wester Slabs or Pagoda Ridge.

Post edited at 16:31
 olddirtydoggy 19 Mar 2019
In reply to josh12345:

Cuillin ridge?

Bone Idle 19 Mar 2019
In reply to josh12345:

The Bear Grylls  adventure park Birmingham, The best climber in the world even better than that fellow Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Mick Ward 19 Mar 2019
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Cuillin ridge?

A bit of a step up from the Snowdon horseshoe?

Mick

Enty 19 Mar 2019
In reply to josh12345:

Go to Yorkshire and do some dead easy caving. Go to Inglesport and rent some lights and helmets, you won't need pro caving suits and stuff like that - just some old clothes and wellies.

Go up to Ribblehead and do Thistle Cave and Runscar Cave then do Roger Kirk Cave with it's infamous "Tube".

Then drive over to Alum Pot and play about in the Long Churn system and do the Cheese Press.

Then go down to Horton in Ribblesdale and drive up to Birkwith Cave and do the Calf Holes to Birkwith cave through trip which requires an 11m abseil to get in.

All the above are really interesting, just google them for the info  - I did them all with my daughter when she was 7.

E

gribble 19 Mar 2019
In reply to josh12345:

Saturday evening in Doncaster town centre. 

OP josh12345 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Enty:

Thanks Enty, this sounds a great idea, I'll look into it

OP josh12345 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Mick Ward:

Yes, it would be a bit too much of a step up and its bit too far to travel. Its certainly on my long list of ambitions though.

OP josh12345 20 Mar 2019
In reply to RM199:

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks awesome, I've not seen anything about this trip before. It may be too committing but I'll have a read up about it

OP josh12345 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Thanks for this, I remember reading about it a few years ago but I'd forgotten about it. It looks fun.

Andrew Wilson 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Enty:

Great advice, exactly what I was thinking!

Bull pot of the witches is a good shout, one easy abseil/handline/free climb descent and there is loads to explore without needing SRT gear (upstream basically). 

Stay at Bullpot Farm to make a weekend of it (this is where you park anyway).

Always leave a call-out, and take a copy of the survey for any cave you visit for the first time. Check out cavemaps.org for this. 

Post edited at 19:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...