UKC

Approach shoe resole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 foobar123 25 Mar 2019

Dear UKC hivemind,

I've got a pair of 5.10 Guide Tennies that have served me well for nearly two years, but are starting to look a little worn out. The upper's still pretty intact, but the sole is nearly worn smooth and the rand is starting to peel away at the bottom. Instead of buying a new pair I'm looking into getting them resoled instead as it's cheaper / more eco.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Are repairs worthwhile, or will they wear out again really quickly? Do you recommend / not recommend certain places? I was going to go with Cheshire Shoe Repairs, as they've resoled countless pairs of climbing shoes for me in the past and I've always been pleased with their service, so if anyone has experience of their approach shoe repairs specifically that would be great.

Thanks!

nawface 25 Mar 2019
In reply to foobar123:

I know Llanberis resoles has done these resoles before. 

Toerag 26 Mar 2019
In reply to foobar123:

I know it's possible to get dotty stealth resoles for approach shoes, but are there other chunkier options? Dotty stealth is no good on damp grass.

Robboj 27 Mar 2019
In reply to foobar123:

I’ve had a pair of Boulder X’s resoled at Cheshire Shoe Repairs. Really pleased, in fact the resole is lasting longer than the original sole & I wear them most days! 

Mr Trebus 27 Mar 2019
In reply to Toerag:

I got a pair resoled by the Greek outfit that eveyone raves about on here. I think they are called High Tech Repairs.  They are vibram ibex I think and are nice and grippy and the lugs don't gunk up. 

They did a couple of pairs of katanas for me and theyare like new with a factory rubber resole.  Really good service and the la sportiva resole is better than any of  the UK companies I have used over the years. It was also cheaper even with the postage.

Alex Riley 27 Mar 2019
In reply to Mr Trebus:

I can second George from high tech resoles. Excellent service all around.

Tigger 28 Mar 2019
In reply to foobar123:

Just used George (fixarock@gmail.com) for 2 Miura VS resoles, brilliantly done, they feel new despite one pair being on its 3rd resole.

OP foobar123 09 Apr 2019
In reply to foobar123:

Thanks for the advice everyone. For those following along at home, I looked at George but decided to go for Cheshire as they'd be quicker. I sent them off second class last Monday, and they arrived back with me today. You can clearly tell where the new rand has been put on but I'm still very happy with the quality of the repair. Only time will tell how durable it is though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...