UKC

Dubhs Ridge abseil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gammarus 26 Mar 2019

I've heard that the abseil point on the Dubhs Ridge has been moved, making it 30m instead of 20m. Can anyone confirm this? It makes a difference to the ropes we take.

Mark Collins 26 Mar 2019
In reply to gammarus:

When I did it last year (30/Apr/18), there was some tat higher up, meaning my ropes wouldn't touch the ground (30m), but realising this in time I pulled them back up and continued down a little further and found some more tat a little lower (20m) and went from there. I also abbed off a hanging slab on the Garbh Choire side so the ropes would pull more easily (quite scary).

Fruitbat 26 Mar 2019
In reply to gammarus:

If there were a couple of bolts fired in to make the ab point then it couldn't be moved - job done.

All please note: this is not a serious suggestion. 

OP gammarus 26 Mar 2019
In reply to Mark Collins:

Your pic looks horrible! Is that the higher [30m] tat or the lower? We'd better take some stuff to make a more secure ab point. Thanks a lot.

Steve

Andy Moles 26 Mar 2019
In reply to gammarus:

> the abseil point on the Dubhs Ridge has been moved

It's not a very 'official' abseil point, most times I've been there there have been various tangles of tat around various wobbly blocks. I would take your own tat, and make your own judgements. There are certainly intermediate options.

In reply to Andy Moles:

Yes, i remember the block/s we abbed off definitely being a bit suspect.

Toccata 26 Mar 2019
In reply to gammarus:

Never did understand the objection to a few small steel rings in a rock the size of Skye to keep people safe and avoid ugly piles of tat. 

HardenClimber 26 Mar 2019
In reply to gammarus:

Or don't take a rope and lose 50metre in altitude (back down the ridge)

to traverse round.

OP gammarus 26 Mar 2019
In reply to HardenClimber:

Radical - but we'll take a rope thanks

OP gammarus 26 Mar 2019
In reply to Toccata:

And there's a precedent on the In Pinn:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anskvi92PH9q1C742VxBKteHgqty

Don't know who installed it.

OP gammarus 26 Mar 2019
 alan moore 26 Mar 2019
In reply to gammarus:

Think the short detour to pass round it ( backtrack from the abseil point until a ledge leads round on the S side of the ridge), is less hard work than humping a rope up there.

Mark Collins 27 Mar 2019
In reply to gammarus:

> Your pic looks horrible! Is that the higher [30m] tat or the lower? We'd better take some stuff to make a more secure ab point. Thanks a lot.

> Steve

The pic is of the higher tat.

Simon Caldwell 27 Mar 2019
In reply to gammarus:

> Don't know who installed it

Guides wanting an easy life?

In reply to alan moore:

Agreed. Rope or not, the only reason to Ab would be for the "thrill". Backtrack about 50m and there is a gully on the south side to descend, then easy ledges lead around to the foot of the abseil.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...