UKC

VIDEO: Free Flow with Hazel Findlay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Mar 2019
Hazel Findlay Dinas Mot - Free Flow Hot Aches Productions have released their new short Free Flow with Hazel Findlay. In the film, Hazel enjoys an epic day of mountain running and solo climbing in Snowdonia. Stunning shots combine with a considered soundtrack and introspection from one of the world's best rock climbers. We caught up with Paul Diffley to find out a little more about the inspiration behind the film:

Read more
 Paul Sagar 28 Mar 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Superb video - the first route is Californian Arete, and I identified the other two crags as Dinas Cromlech and Dinas Mot, but what are the routes Hazel is climbing on both?

Paul Sagar 28 Mar 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Oh, the making of video says it’s Cemetery Gates at Cromlech, but what’s the other one?

TobyA 29 Mar 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Interesting to see it was Mr MacLeod doing the drone photography, Dave seems to be doing quite a good sideline with that with some lovely films from Scotland too.

Are there issues with using drones in National Parks? Do you need permits or anything official like that?

BrendanO 29 Mar 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Dave Mac - strongest drone operator in Scotland!

fuzzysheep01 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Looks like Diagonal (HVS 5a) in the first clip where she traverses underneath the square roof. She tops out on a different route though - seems to be the top pitch of West Rib (HVS 5a) I think.

Post edited at 07:31
 Sl@te Head 29 Mar 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Stunning footage and production, well done to all involved

Couldn't help noticing the stunning arete of Shtimuli at about 1:10

Shtimuli (E4 6a)

Such an amazing line with great climbing which has had few ascents, it's always puzzled me why it's not a popular slate classic (not one of mine though I did repeat it in the early 90's)

Deadeye 29 Mar 2019
In reply to UKC News:

It's interesting that all the comments are about the climbs and the footage.

I agree that it was nicely shot (although a little dark at times).

Hazel generally comes across as a lovely person (other interviews/articles), but the commentary here was a bit cringe-ful.  I suspect she's rather private/shy and doesn't much enjoy the talkign bit.

danm 29 Mar 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Interesting that you felt that, it was the opposite for me. With the recent focus on both the mental health benefits of climbing, and the benefit of mental training on your climbing performance, I found it fascinating to hear Hazel's introspective thoughts on climbing and the mental state it engenders.

In addition, having once lived in the area, I loved the story of the film, starting off in 'beris and working her way up the Pass, up onto Snowdon and back down again in a big loop. An amazing showcase for the area.

Michael Hood 29 Mar 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Inspired by the shallow swimming at the end

ianstevens 29 Mar 2019
In reply to fuzzysheep01:

> Looks like Diagonal (HVS 5a) in the first clip where she traverses underneath the square roof. She tops out on a different route though - seems to be the top pitch of West Rib (HVS 5a) I think.

I suspect it would be very easy to link from the second pitch of Diagonal into Western Rib, and avoid the shitty grovel at the top of Diagonal.

Climbthatpitch 30 Mar 2019
In reply to UKC News:

There is a behind the scenes on the hot aches production you tube channel which I found really good to watch

BrendanO 31 Mar 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Showed this to a class of 11year old kids (non-climbers). Rapt attention then spontaneous applause at end!

Mick Ward 31 Mar 2019
In reply to BrendanO:

Wow! That's probably as good a litmus test as you're ever going to get.

Those involved can rest happy with their efforts.

Mick

steveriley 02 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC News:

I thought the movie stood out as a midget gem on the Brit Rock tour, interested to see this new and improved version.

Bulls Crack 03 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Far and away the best bit of the British Rock Tour film collection 

Donotello 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Glad i’m not the only one who thought the ASMR style voiceover was cringe. I had to watch in silence eventually. Other than that though I love Hazel and her work and the video was stunning, but difficult to watch with the voiceover for me I’m afraid. 

Bulls Crack 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Donotello:

Didn't bother me, in fact I found it relaxing and good for my mental health  

The lack of jabbering and intrusive music was a bonus imo. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...