UKC

trad packs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ibexguiding 30 Mar 2019

I've recently just got into trad climbing and I'm looking for a new rucksack so I can fit my trad rack, a 70m rope or 2 50m and all the other things you'll need for a day at the crag. 

I was looking at the DMM flight as they no longer sell the vector or the mountain equipment ogre 42l, but was wondering what everyone else uses or if anyone knows if the flight or the ogre is good for trad?

Post edited at 12:08
 GridNorth 30 Mar 2019
In reply to ibexguiding:

The DMM Flight is superb for sport especially for continental sport but there are better bags for UK Trad. I use a Mammut 45litre pack for trad which can handle a rope and all the gear but these days I prefer to spread the load and not put the rope inside the rucksack.  With that in mind a smaller pack would be preferable. Something like a Patagonia Cragmaster would be my current choice.  Both the Mammut and the Cragmaster allow full front/rear access which I find more useful than a simple top loader.  Having said all that I'm not saying the Flight is NOT suitable. If you only had or wanted one sack it would be more than adequate.

Al

olddirtydoggy 30 Mar 2019
In reply to ibexguiding:

Ikea bag, no seriously. For long walk in's any backpack thats about 40l and fits your back.

GoneFishing111 30 Mar 2019
In reply to ibexguiding:

Patagonia cragsmith - great pack

Connorh 30 Mar 2019
In reply to ibexguiding:

If you are ever going to do any winter climbing / mountaineering I'd just skip the summer specific rucksack and get one which is desgined for winter climbing. Same thing IMO and you have the option of using it in winter, it will also be better for wearing on multi pitch and long walk ins. I use my Mutant 38 for everything and have never felt the need for another backpack.

Post edited at 16:07
 Mark Stevenson 01 Apr 2019
In reply to ibexguiding:

> I've recently just got into trad climbing and I'm looking for a new rucksack so I can fit my trad rack, a 70m rope or 2 50m and all the other things you'll need for a day at the crag. 

Well, that requirement may be overkill unless you have slightly unhelpful climbing partners. Rope and rack can generally be split between the pair, so for most trad (apart from abseil approach sea cliffs) with any long approach a fairly small rucsac is often perfectly adequate.

> I was looking at the DMM flight as they no longer sell the vector or the mountain equipment ogre 42l, but was wondering what everyone else uses or if anyone knows if the flight or the ogre is good for trad?

I use a DMM Flight for sport climbing, roadside trad cragging and sea cliffs. It's a great bit of kit but not amazing for carrying long distances.

For anything with a significant walk-in, especially if it has lots of height gain, I'll just pack much, much lighter and use a c.30litre sac (Blue Ice Warthog or Patagonia Ascensionist) with the rope on the outside if required.

HTH

harlequin100 01 Apr 2019
In reply to ibexguiding:

I use one of these for low level cragging:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockbag-35l-id_8495285.html

Donotello 01 Apr 2019
In reply to ibexguiding:

Patagonia Crag Daddy. Super comfy, loads of space, lays down flat and opens like a hold-all. Good top-extension too, there’s videos of it on YouTube. Cost me about £100 but I’ve used it for years of climbing, general holidays, and carting stuff about on my bike.

jezb1 02 Apr 2019
In reply to ibexguiding:

If you’re not climbing with a pack on then the Black Diamond Creek is hard to beat.

If I’m going to be carrying a bag on route then a Patagonia ascentionist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...