UKC

Stuck Size 6 BD Cam - Cave Crack - Froggat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Frisby 01 Apr 2019

Cave Crack (E3 5c) Froggatt Edge

Got my Size 6 BD cam (big green) stuck in the roof of cave crack yesterday. If anyone can retrieve it then they can keep it as a thank you for their effort, as I tried for about an hour yesterday to no avail. The rope pulled it up into a constriction once we had passed the roof. Although it isn't blocking any of the moves of the climb my main concern is removing it from the route so it can get back to its's original condition. 

Tigger 01 Apr 2019
In reply to George Frisby:

At least it pulled into a constriction for you, when I did it i think the belayer kept the rope a little tight and which moved the cam. When cleaning the route (no one wanted to second it for some reason)  I found it had and opened up!!

Dan Arkle 01 Apr 2019

Cam removed. Thanks, and I'll pop a tenner into the next mountain rescue box I see. 

Jon Read 01 Apr 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Go on, Dan, be lovely and send it home. A size six is quite an investment for anyone, and I bet you've already got one

OP George Frisby 01 Apr 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks Dan, good job.

Out of interest how did you remove it? We were thinking of trying mole grips on the sides to fully trigger it and tapping the end with a hammer to slide it out. 

George. 

Dan Arkle 01 Apr 2019

I used a small hammer to individually tap the back of the lobes towards the exit. They moved a few mm at at a time. The trick was keeping it correctly oriented so it didn't jam.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...