UKC

Most aesthetically pleasing routes in the Gower.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aled Williams 11 Apr 2019

Hi all.

A friend of mine is a climber and photographer and wants to go climb the Gower. 

In your opinion what are the most aesthetically pleasing/ photogenic climbs in the area up to HVS/E1 ? 

Thanks

Al

pasbury 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Aled Williams:

Scavenger is the obvious one, Lots in that grade range on Fall Bay Buttress at Mewslade too.

mik82 11 Apr 2019

Marsh Dance - Tor Gro

probablylost 11 Apr 2019

2nd Scavenger, plus Arch Slab next to it.

Osiris at Fall Bay.

Potential for interesting photos looking out of the caves at the sport crags Fox Hole and Minchen Hole. 

Dave Garnett 11 Apr 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Scavenger is the obvious one,

Yes, it looks great, but I can't think of another route that so signally fails to live up to its allure!

Deadeye 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Yes, it looks great, but I can't think of another route that so signally fails to live up to its allure!

Glad it wasn't just me!

Arch slab is better IMHO

There's quite a photgenic VS at Boiler Slab

summo 11 Apr 2019

Castle Lewes, isis, osiris, south west diedre..

You will need a 3rd person on an ab rope to get the best angle though.

d_b 11 Apr 2019

Great Tor has to be up there.  Looking down the second pitch with an incoming tide.

Post edited at 12:17
 TobyA 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I agree Arch Slab is better climbing, looks cool in a photo too, when you're out on the slab.

In reply to probablylost:

> 2nd Scavenger, plus Arch Slab next to it.

> Osiris at Fall Bay.

Those are the very two I'd mention.

The aesthetics/photogenics there's White Edge, rather loose, but a fine feature.

Simon Caldwell 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Good call, very photogenic (and not as loose as I expected).

Another "interesting" one is Shelob (HS 4b)

In reply to Simon Caldwell:

There's also Assassin near there, which I haven't done, but I'm told is very good.

BFG 11 Apr 2019

merely adding my voice to the choir, but Isis, Osiris and Arch Slab.

It's (a very well protected) E2; but you could potentially get an awesome shot on lazy sunday afternoon as well.

Rog Wilko 11 Apr 2019

> The aesthetics/photogenics there's White Edge, rather loose, but a fine feature.

Yes, more than rather loose. I suggested a grade of VS 3a in my UKC log.

Ianto Bach 11 Apr 2019

Assassin is very good for the grade, not too sure on the photogenics though... haven't thought of it from that perspective.

I

alan moore 11 Apr 2019

The Fall Bay Buttress roof between Isis and Osiris looks great in profile and has already been used on a guide book cover.

Giants Cave looks great with the tide in.

White Edge and Kiaser Buttress are both huge white fins rising from the beach at Mewslade.

Both the ridges on Great Tor look great in profile.

Three cliffs is about as photogenic as it gets.

Paviland and Juniper Wall are strangely unimpressive to look at and feel quite the opposite to climb!

Anoetic 11 Apr 2019

Lazy Sunday morning afternoon, the adulteress or a number of routes on great tor....the angle of the photography is key.....

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Do you know that Norman Croucher did it with his two artificial legs for a TV programme I made about him years ago (late 70s) for BBC South-West? I don't remember him having too much trouble, though of course he took it very slowly and carefully. Very sadly, the programme doesn't seem to have survived and was never given a copy of it after it was broadcast. (The programme was shot on 16mm film, and it's possible it was never transferred onto videotape, simply broadcast directly from telecine.)

Post edited at 22:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...