UKC

MSR Elixir 2, any users ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 16 Apr 2019

Seen the review on UKC for the Elixir 1 which looks good, is anybody using the Elixir 2 ?

Looks a bit weighty but split between 2 shouldn't be too bad and happy to have a bit of weight compromise for more space etc.

Have a TN laser for lightweight and mountain marathons but need something for general duties and the odd wild camp that's reasonably robust and can deal with the lakes weather in spring/autumn.

spenser 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have an Elixir 3 which is fantastic, really robust  and quite reassuring (even in torrential downpours it feels completely fine. The main issue is that it is an inner pitch first tent and that bits sometimes try and blow away when you are packing it up!

Will Beaumont 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've been using an Elixir 2 for a few years now and although I've not used it in high winds it's stood up to plenty of rain with no issues. For me it hits the right balance between weight, space and durability.

If it's raining you can get around the inner pitch first issue by doing the following; Peg out the footprint and put the poles into that, put the fly sheet over the poles and peg it out, now go inside and clip the inner onto the poles and peg it out. It's a bit of a faff but I find it preferable to having a wet tent.  

Frank R. 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have been using it for a few years, pretty robust for its category. There are lighter tents out there, but I like it, split between two it's not that bad. So far it managed storms in the Caucasus and even the odd windy ridge snow camping quite well (although obv. not a full on winter tent).

OP Dark-Cloud 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Cheers all, ordered one, looks a pretty good balance between weight, size and robustness, footprint included in the price is good too.

jamie_bkc 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Just spent 2 months hitchiking across patagonia with one, didn't skip a beat.

TobyA 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

The review Elixir 1 is still going strong. Son no.1 is taking it on a big scout camp soon - which may turn out to be it's toughest test so far. 🙄

OP Dark-Cloud 17 Apr 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Cheers, thought your review made it worthy of looking at the two man. 

Was just a bit concerned by looking at some photos that the fly leaves quite a lot of the inner exposed at the bottom but that could be to do with the pitch. 

Also couldn't quite see what the inner/fly separation was like as tents that have a couple of inches between inner and outer wind me up as soon as its winds they come together.

All of the above seems to be a non issue if people are getting the use out of it with no issues, so i'm sure it will be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...