UKC

NEWS: David Lama, Hansjörg Auer and Jess Roskelley Missing After Avalanche

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 18 Apr 2019

World-class Austrian mountaineers David Lama and Hansjörg Auer and US alpinist Jess Roskelley are missing and presumed dead following an avalanche on 16th April on Howse Peak in Banff National Park, Canada, according to a press release from Parks Canada referenced by multiple mainstream media outlets.

Read more

andybenham 18 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Oh shit, a great loss. 

Rad 18 Apr 2019

Terrible news. I hate this part of climbing. 

Each of them was inspiring in his own way. I was particularly interested to see Lama's transformation from comp star to hardcore alpinist. The Lunag Ri video with Anker really gives you a glimpse into what drove him and how he handled adversity and partnerships with class. I was looking forward to seeing where he would take the sport.

Rad 18 Apr 2019

RIP gents. Your loss is a reminder to make the most of our time on this stone.

We are all, it seems, just seeds cast into the wind, searching for the right meadow in which to take root, grow, and bloom before we too are folded back into the earth when our summer finally draws to a close. Life is what we make it, each day precious. 

joeruckus 18 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC News:

JBclimbs 18 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC News:

So much sad news recently, some times the price of this game we play poses some really difficult questions. 

SenzuBean 19 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Terrible. Avalanches respect nothing.

Blue Straggler 19 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Terrible news, I heard it on the radio this morning and Googled it. One observation I made that all the American news sites made a point of naming the climbers’ mutual sponsor, which I found rather “corporate”.  Just wondering if this is becoming commonplace. I don’t mean to spin off on a tangent already, of course this thread is about marking respect for these men so tragically lost. Auer is the only one I’ve seen in action (on video) but as noted by another poster, Lama’s change has been interesting over the years since his Cerro Torre controversy and it was good to see his seemingly total redemption. 

In reply to Blue Straggler:

It's simply because TNF will have sent a press release out to media outlets. 

Blue Straggler 19 Apr 2019
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Thanks Natalie. It’s a bit weird to me because the repeated mention of TNF could be perceived (incorrectly) as a sort of “blame” as if the guys were under pressure from TNF to “do something gnarly”

but that’s a discussion for another time and another thread.

C Witter 20 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC News:

I was talking about Auer only yesterday. Far too many gone this year. What an awful tragedy.

Smelly Fox 20 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC News:

So sad to hear this. Here’s a nice video about Hansjörg for those who are interested.

youtube.com/watch?v=qfH5bGQrnZw&

jazzyjackson 21 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Horrible news. These characters were of another dimension.A real front line against mediocrity. 

They gave such insightful testimony about what made them tick. 

Thanks for sharing guys. RIP

jazzyjackson 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Smelly Fox:

A powerful film when i first viewed it a while back. Now it's absolutely haunting.

I think Hansjorg saw a lot. His climbs were considered obsessionally. Not just the physical but the existential core and motivations.

Mindblowing film. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...