UKC

Uncoil a new rope that's kinked

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OllieBarker 18 Apr 2019

Hey everybody,

I just bought a new rope and was paralytic about uncoiling it properly. My last rope was wrecked because I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it.

This time I followed instructions and Youtube videos yet somehow my rope is full of kinks. Right now I haven't climbed on it so I believe it's salvageable.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get all the kinks out before I climb on it?

Any help appreciated!

d_b 18 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:

Flaking it lots and lots of times has been my normal approach. If there is a better way I am interested.

TMM 18 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:

Are you right handed?

Sounds like you might have got a left handed rope in error. If you’ve still got the packaging the shop might let you return it for a swap for right handed version.

Jenny C 18 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:

Clip one end into a free hanging quickdraw then pull the full length through and repeat. 

David Bennett 18 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:drag it through long grass.

GarethSL 18 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:

Run two strands from the middle of the rope through a belay plate in guide mode and repeat as necessary.

Pete Houghton 18 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:

Tie one end to a tree, walk the length out onto the ground, go back to the tree, prusik or belay plate on, walk the length again.

connor 19 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:

Dangle it off a really high bridge and give it a flick a few times. Gets all the twists out a treat. 

Oceanrower 19 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:

> I just bought a new rope and was paralytic about uncoiling it properly. 

That's where you went wrong. Never uncoil a new rope when you're pissed...

d_b 19 Apr 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

I cn't speak for anyone else but I would never dare to climb if I was sober.

*hic*

Frank R. 19 Apr 2019
In reply to TMM:

> Sounds like you might have got a left handed rope in error.

Ah! So that's why I have been always climbing so badly! Makes sense now

Rob Parsons 19 Apr 2019
In reply to connor:

> Dangle it off a really high bridge and give it a flick a few times.

Equivalently: dangle it down a suitably high stairwell (if you have access to a building which has such a stairwell.)

GrahamD 19 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:

Drag it from one end across a field for a way. Check for dog shit first 

tehmarks 19 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:

Drag it across a field, pull it through a quickdraw, etc. Basically anything that will add friction and push the twists to the end of the rope and allow them to fall out. Might take a bit of time, but I've never failed to screw up unpacking a new rope and have yet to fail to rescue the situation either.

duchessofmalfi 20 Apr 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

All these methods work but also:

- Alternate ends at the climbing wall pulling through the long way.

- Coil from the middle marker over your shoulders (this means any twist you put in due to being left or right handed etc get put equally and opposite on both ends and cancel out).

- My favourite method is to hang or drag through grass from the centre (two strands) so the twists only have 1/2 as far to go before disappearing off the ends.

FWIW it takes _much_ longer is the rope is long and thin, adjust your patience and expectations accordingly!

In reply to OllieBarker:

I've had friends make spaghetti out of a new rope, never affected it. Never understood why unpacking a new rope incorrectly could cause considerable problems that descending with a fig 8 wouldn't? 

john arran 20 Apr 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Never understood why unpacking a new rope incorrectly could cause considerable problems that descending with a fig 8 wouldn't? 

It's a rural myth.

Dell 22 Apr 2019
In reply to OllieBarker:

First of all, coil the rope in the 'butterfly style'

Next, make your way to Grid Reference KR 526 367…there you find an old yew tree that is at least 1200 years old. 

Wait until midnight, and proceed to strip naked from the waist down. 

Hold the coiled rope under your left arm, and a pre-acquired rubber chicken under your right. 

The pre-acquired rubber chicken must have been manufactured before 1987. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MUST THE USER HOLD A CHICKEN MANUFACTURED AFTER THIS DATE, OR INJURY OR DEATH MAY OCCUR! 

Walk around the tree 12 times, mouthing the lyrics to 'Poor Old Mr.Woogie' as performed by cheeky Cockney pop trio Charles and David. 

Make your way home, do NOT put your trousers back on until you reach home. 

The next time you go climbing, you will miraculously find that not only has your rope untangled itself, but it will be half the weight and twice as long. Although the breaking strength will have been reduced by two thirds. 

I hope this has been of some help. 

d_b 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Dell:

LIES!

The breaking strength will reduce by three fifths (but not 60%!).

Post edited at 10:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...