UKC

A durable clip stick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tmawer 22 Apr 2019

I have owned the original Beta clip stick, which I had difficulties in stopping the sections collapsing and so bought the new Evo beta clip stick, which quickly bent under the weight of rope and crab and so will not now retract. How robust is the Pongoose or can you recommend any  other/better options? Thanks. 

RR 22 Apr 2019
In reply to tmawer:

As with the old Beta stick and the new version I have had no problems. With the old one the rope needed to be more guided (feeding) due to the thinner tubes then the newer longest one (the old one has a red tube at the top). Special care is needed if there is a strong wind blowing, also with the newer version slack is needed. I never drag the rope up from a horizontal position. I make the stick longer while feeding the rope. I used the new one at least 50 climbing days until now. 

Maybe a Metolius thingy or the like on a professional painters stick is sturdier??? Or the Climbstick??? Or send it back for repair.

Macleod 22 Apr 2019
In reply to tmawer:

If you can get hold of a super clip, I think these are the best devices out there. You may have to order it from America.

Then all you need is to choose your suitably solid and long pole from B&Q or similar. Not as compact as the beta stick, but if you can live with that it's much easier to use, particularly for clipping in to or removing hanging draws.

In reply to Macleod:

Super clip is great and does everything well. I use it with a fibreglass painters' stick which is super durable though the whole affair is not lightweight.

Andy Gamisou 23 Apr 2019
In reply to tmawer:

> I have owned the original Beta clip stick, which I had difficulties in stopping the sections collapsing

I had the same problem with the compact version I had some years ago.  Hoping that this was a one off issue with the one I had, I eventually replaced it with a new standard size one.  After about a dozen uses and the same issue has appeared with this one.  I assume the name  "beta" doesn't refer to the climbing term so much as refering to the sticks production status.

Climbpsyched 23 Apr 2019
In reply to tmawer:

I had similar problem with the new version. I'll be looking forward to seeing what other brands are suggested. Although I loved the size of the new version mine lasted less than a month. Real piece of crap. 

JayAyBee 23 Apr 2019
In reply to tmawer:

I’ve had a Pongoose for the last year and a half, definitely one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. Can’t compare it to the new beta stick but miles better than the old one.

Removed User 23 Apr 2019
In reply to JayAyBee:

> I’ve had a Pongoose for the last year and a half, definitely one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. Can’t compare it to the new beta stick but miles better than the old one.

Fully agree!

RR 23 Apr 2019
In reply to tmawer:

What about to attach a Kong Panic = very short clip stick (with Velcro tape) to the pole of your desired length. The Kong Panic is ideal to clip a higher bold in those places where a fall of the lower bold leads to knee damage (due to sharp edge).

OP tmawer 23 Apr 2019
In reply to JayAyBee:

Thanks. Does it have reasonable strength when fully extended?

In reply to tmawer:

Dare I suggest using a stick? For a higher tech version incorporate a bulldog clip. 

Sticks have a negative carbon footprint and are biodegradable, so you will be welcomed with open arms on the bridges of London. 

The only thing the stick and bulldog clip combination cannot do is remove quick draws from bolts but I am yet to be convinced this functionality actually exists outside of well rehearsed marketing videos. 

OP tmawer 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

I think even the most ardent of eco supporters might feel pity at the sight of me exhaustedly waving a 10 foot branch around, with a bulldog clip and quick-drawer attached, halfway up a sport route in Yorkshire, but thanks for the idea

JayAyBee 23 Apr 2019
In reply to tmawer:

Feels far, far more stable than the original beta sticks (can't comment on the new one). The poles are much more solid (without it being noticeably heavier) so there's no more fighting against gravity or the wind at full extension. This might be because it's an extension shorter than the original beta stick (I think), but the length hasn't been an issue for me at all, either in the UK or abroad. Plus I've got a lot of mileage out of it over the winter season as a brush stick (you get a brush you can screw into the head).

Can't recommend it enough, although it is ~double the price of a beta stick so depends what your price threshold is. It feels it'll last much longer than my old beta stick will though, so probs a good investment.

Post edited at 15:48
 Tom Poulter 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

Thanks for the recommendation - I just ordered a Super Clip from the USA with some random Amazon vouchers that I could only spend in $.   With regards to the pole, any particular advice about best length and type to go for and are there any options for ones that are quite compact when fully closed up, so they could potentially be transportable on harness like the beta stick compact?

cheers

In reply to Tom Poulter:

The Super Clip screws onto any standard painter's pole - then you have to decide on the trade off between light and compact and heavy and durable. I go for the latter as it's mostly for clipping up the first couple of bolts. If I ever have to stick clip up a whole pitch, I'll generally borrow someone else's lightweight rig.

Rob Kennard 24 Apr 2019
In reply to Removed UserMGRT:

Go for a Pongoose - made to last by climbers who have been let down by other stick-clip brands. Build quality you can feel!

Rob

Climbpsyched 22 May 2019
In reply to Climbpsyched:

I should add that the company replaced my broken one with a brand new one. 

David Staples 22 May 2019
In reply to tmawer:

As a Beta stick owner I would recommend the Pongoose.

Tyler 22 May 2019
In reply to tmawer:

I've got one of the new beta climb stick clips and it is really excellent. It's one of the short ones and is so easy to use when stick clippings route (though maybe a bit short for high first bolts)

Post edited at 22:19
OP tmawer 23 May 2019
In reply to David Staples:

As a prior Beta stick owner, and a new owner of a Pongoose, I feel that the latter will prove to be more durable. Only used it a couple of times so far; I like the feel of it but something about the clipping angle seems to make it more complicated for me to be sure I am not back clipping.....I suspect this is a fault in me rather than in the principle!

jezb1 23 May 2019
In reply to tmawer:

When they make a longer Pongoose I'll get one!

My Beta has lasted years and seen a lot of use, I'm just careful with it.

Ian Patterson 23 May 2019
In reply to jezb1:

My old compact beta lasted me many years of use though had started show signs of its mistreatment.  Replaced with new evo standard this and have been very impressed - seems pretty well built and sturdy, compact size and long extension (a few cms longer than old compact when closed, more than 3 foot longer when fully extended).   Obviously there's a balance between weight and sturdiness and I think a little bit of care is probably still needed when using it fully extended but overall very impressed and would recommend.

Ian

Yossarian 23 May 2019
In reply to Ian Patterson:

Does the Beta Evo stick head screw into the pole with the same fitting as a generic extension pole? I’ve been thinking of getting one, but slightly alarmed by the tales of them falling apart. At least if you can replace the pole there’s potential to get a bit more life out of it...

MischaHY 24 May 2019
In reply to tmawer:

The Pongoose is epic. I've dropped mine 15+ metres from the crag (I know, I know) and it still works fine. If it can survive that without issue I suspect it'll get through anything. It's also frickin' ace and makes life way easier especially when handling tricky clips with the rope etc. Do it! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...