UKC

Best Kayak for Fishing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jared James 27 Apr 2019

what would be the best Kayak for Fishing?

rogersavery 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Jared James:

How can that possibly work? Every time I kayak past a fisherman, they shout at me for scaring all the fish away. And they claim they won’t come back out for several hours.

Kevster 27 Apr 2019
In reply to rogersavery:

Fishermen don't scare fish away, others do. 

See?

In reply to Jared James:

Depends where /what you want to fish and what your kayak skills are like.

Generally a sit on top gives you much more scope to move around and have tackle and storage that's immediately accessible than a standard touring or sea kayak. They can be cold in winter though. I have both a SOT and a touring kayak fitted out for fishing trips.

Shorter boats are more manouverable and often more stable. I have a fatyak kaafu that works well around bays and rocks but it's slow if you want to paddle a long way. 

Longer boats are faster so better suited to offshore marks. 

Lots of variables for rod holders varying from simple tubes moulded into the hull through to rail systems that allow multiple accessories each side of the boat. Plastic boats are easy to customise for this and for sonar fishfinders, anchor trolleys etc. 

There are also options for pedal propulsion kayaks rather than standard paddles. 

charliesdad 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Jared James:

Are you sure you are on the right website?

UKC doesn’t = UK Carp

OP Jared James 28 Apr 2019
In reply to charliesdad:

that's rude bro!

In reply to Kevster:

> Fishermen don't scare fish away, others do. 

To the tune of Goldie Looking Chain

Tim Sparrow 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Jared James:

Hobie Outback or Revo. Hands free to fish while you pedal.

There are a few others around now with pedal prop drives that do the same thing, usually cheaper , but Hobies are the Rolls Royce of fishing kayaks. Can be picked up 2nd hand for an almost reasonable price. 

Not sure if you were  after a sensible answer or not, but here is one to contrast with the droll replies (bar Ron RD) so far!

Moley 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Jared James:

I am not a sea angler and never used a kayak, but if I was considerably younger and lived nearer the sea that would be my personal idea of fishing heaven.

I only wish it was available when I was a kid. Good luck, sorry I can't help.

In reply to Moley:

> I only wish it was available when I was a kid.

I have very clear memories of sitting in our garage with my mate in around 1982 and discussing the possibilities of using a kayak for getting to fishing marks around the Ormes that weren't possible by land or boat. I don't think anyone else had thought of it at the time.

Sadly the mould our scout group had for making fibreglass kayaks had such a small cockpit my knees wouldn't fit in so we never developed the idea.

Now it's a big sport in its own right.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...