UKC

New Guidebook for Tautavel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan Bates 05 May 2019

There is a new guidebook available for Tautavel, pick it up in the village store and bars. Price 20 Euros.

Post edited at 19:13
 Andrew Lodge 06 May 2019
In reply to Alan Bates:

Is it just Tautavel or does it cover the wider area?

OP Alan Bates 06 May 2019
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

Hi Andrew,

It is just Tautavel.  But Vingrau and the two crags near Opoul-Périllos are well covered in downloadable info on the web.

Post edited at 11:14
 RupertD 08 May 2019
In reply to Alan Bates:

Are there still access/bolting issues there?

OP Alan Bates 08 May 2019
In reply to RupertD:

There are no access or bolting issues in Tautavel, nor now in Vingrau.  The two crags at Opoul have, to my knowledge, never had access issues.

The problem area is Maury, where climbing was banned some time ago and officially still is.  Though I am aware that some locals are climbing on some of the Maury crags.

Andrew Lodge 08 May 2019
In reply to Alan Bates:

I've seen reports of an accident at Tautavel last year and the commune subsequently banning climbing, does anybody know if there is any truth in this?

OP Alan Bates 09 May 2019

Hi Andrew,

I'm not aware of that.  I know it was the cause of the ban at Maury and also last year a ban because of a similar event was put in place at a small crag near me at Rimbau near Collioure.

A few things suggesting this is not the case at Tautavel:

• As of 2 weeks ago,  there are no signs up in the village, or at the crags I've visited to say there is a ban
  • They're selling the new guidebook in the village
  • CAF Perpignan (club I've joined), are climbing at Bousquet (Tautavel) this coming Saturday
 jon 09 May 2019

According to the FFME (admittedly updated in June 2016) there's no restriction: https://www.ffme.fr/site/falaise-fiche/1608.html 

Crags with restrictions are shown like this: https://www.ffme.fr/site/falaise-fiche/2066.html

Andrew Lodge 09 May 2019
In reply to Alan Bates:

Thanks both for the  replies, we'll be down there in a couple of weeks so will try and pick up a copy of the new guide and spend a day there.

GrahamD 09 May 2019

Be interested to hear whether there are any new developments. My copies of Vingrau and Tauteval are a couple of editions old now

Andrew Lodge 09 May 2019
In reply to Alan Bates:

My Vingrau book is dated 2007 and is frankly rubbish.

Does anyone have a link to a newer online topo?

OP Alan Bates 10 May 2019

I've the same guide as you.  I have been unable to get a copy of the later guide (2011), now out of print.  But the camptocamp.org website has detail of a lot of the main routes.  Here's an example for the route 'Le Petit Dru'  https://www.camptocamp.org/routes/629821

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...