UKC

Video: Ben Moon back in Boux after 30 years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 06 May 2019

Really lovely video of Ben Moon getting back on Agincourt, 30 years after his FA. Pity about the banal plinky-plonky music over some of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=s8EujPDtKg4

In reply to ericinbristol:

Thanks for this. Really good. Personally I didn't mind the music... thought it added to it nicely

Mick B 06 May 2019

Cheers for that.  Nice film.

I've just been re-reading Revelations so good to see this.  

I'm with you on the plinky plonky music though.  I always associate this style with mobile phone ads.

Wiley Coyote2 06 May 2019

Lovely little film and an interesting sidelight on the importance of the mental/motivation side of  climbing. You can train as much as you like but, whatever your level, sometimes you just really have to want it

neilh 06 May 2019

He is so fluent and stylish. Excellent. I remember when that area use to be heaving with climbers in the 80’s. 

Wiley Coyote2 06 May 2019
In reply to neilh:

>  I remember when that area use to be heaving with climbers in the 80’s. 

I'd forgotten how good it looks. Hard to believe there was a year, mid-80s when I actually climbed at Buoux more days than on Yorkshire grit (though w-a-y below the stuff Ben is on) We were still climbing on double ropes, sometimes clipping bolts on two routes at once, and I'm not sure the words 'sport c;limbing' had even filtered down to us back then. We were so naive  (and incompetent) but having so much fun

neilh 06 May 2019
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

45 metre double ropes at that.  Lol.

snoop6060 07 May 2019

Over the years I've been climbing I'd always given Buoux a wide birth due it's reputation for super technical sandbags even by French standards. Finally went last year and it was genuinely one of the best places I'd ever been. Really quite suited to British sport climbers which probably have fairly high finger strengh with good technique (but comparatively crap endurance). The place is really quiet and is just stunning to look at. And the rock is bullet hard with excellent friction. Every route we did was excellent. The only shame is that the crag gets all the sun going and it was really hot.

Agincourt still looks futuristic even 20 years later. Looks utterly savage. 

Wiley Coyote2 07 May 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

> Agincourt still looks futuristic even 20 years later. Looks utterly savage. 

That prompted me to dig out my old dvd of Buoux 8c. Jeez 'savage' doesn't even begin to cover it. How the hell does anyone - even Ben who looked like a skinned rabbit with dreads in those days - hold that one finger undercut at full stretch above his head at that angle? Phenomenal stuff

snoop6060 07 May 2019
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

I was sat under it thinking I could not even climb on those holds if that was vertical. I mean it just looks blank, the sorta blank you get on a 7c slab in buoux. And it defo ain't a slab

Nic 07 May 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

> Over the years I've been climbing I'd always given Buoux a wide birth due it's reputation for super technical sandbags even by French standards.

Hmm, so probably not the best choice for a couple of lads on their first sport climbing trip having ticked a few E1s in North Wales and the Lakes?! (and yes, with double 45m ropes...)

> Really quite suited to British sport climbers which probably have fairly high finger strength with good technique

Hmm, another couple of fails! Anyway, there was a happy ending, we ran away, tail between our legs and ended up at the comparative paradise of Orgon!

Graham Booth 07 May 2019

Mmm liked the piano music!

OP ericinbristol 07 May 2019
In reply to Graham Booth:

All good - each to their own 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...