UKC

Magic wood camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tommy Harris 14 May 2019

Hi

Myself, my wife and 1yr old daughter are looking to visit Magic wood for a few days this summer for some bouldering and wondered if anyone had any good info on local campsites/places to stay, Looking for somewhere fairly close by and preferably with toilets and showers.

Many Thanks

Tommy

Ottawa 14 May 2019
In reply to Tommy Harris:

The main campsite up by the wood now has showers and toilets (luxury I tell you), and Thomas who runs it also has a guesthouse up the road in Ausserferrera. You'll find a few places to stay in Andeer too but all will be at Swiss prices...

Thomas and his family have looked after the wood and massively aided it's accessibility to visitors, and will give good advice if needed (Bodhi climbing is his usual media name). It's absolutely worth visiting the great guesthouse for a meal or coffee on a rainy day to support this.

Please be aware that as a deep Swiss valley the temperature can really drop at night, even in summer, which may be a concern with young children?  It will also be busy, and the bouldering / area has suffered from this in the previous years so please clean your chalk, be respectful of the wood and local residents.

Feel free to message me any questions.

OP Tommy Harris 15 May 2019
In reply to Ottawa:

Great! Thanks for the info, I did find this campsite, do you know if its best to book in advance? 

Also I am always respectful to the areas I visit and will most definitely say something If i see anyone not being. 

Tommy 

Ottawa 15 May 2019
In reply to Tommy Harris:

Unless things have changed recently you can't book in advance, but it shouldn't be busy to the point where you won't be able to pitch (unless you're travelling with a canvas second home). There's a quarried area across the road as overflow, and if it really was all packed and you couldn't shuffle anyone over then I expect Thomas could find a space for you somewhere (go and ask at the guesthouse, or chat with someone in the camp hut if it's open). You may be able to book rooms at the guesthouse but I never took one myself so unsure of the process.

OP Tommy Harris 17 May 2019
In reply to Ottawa:

Great Thank you for the info,  have recently spoken with Thomas and he has said you cant book, so fingers crossed its not too busy and we can pitch somewhere..

Once again thanks for all the info.

Tommy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...