UKC

ARTICLE: The Best of UKC - Amusing Logbook Entries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 14 May 2019
The Best of UKC A new Instagram account recently caught our attention: The Best of UKC (@best_of_ukc). The account - which is not run by any UKC staff members - is described in its profile as 'Bringing you the most hilarious bits of British climbing's greatest export since Edmund Hillary.' We're flattered, we think...

Read more
 gooberman-hill 14 May 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

I'm interested in reading the funniest bits on UK logbooks.

But the constant invitation to turn on social media cookies is just not worth it. I don't want, FB, Twitter, Instagram etc all following me.

So I'm afraid I shall just have to pass for the moment.

Might be nice as a UKC feature though - Photo of the month => Best logbook comment of the month?

88Dan 14 May 2019
In reply to gooberman-hill:

If only more people were prepared to pass on social media.

deepsoup 14 May 2019

You can read the article without being logged in to UKC, so if your browser allows you could always open it in a "private window" and the cookies get binned when you close it again.  The comments are quite funny, but I'm sure I've seen better whilst rummaging around the logbooks.. 

This strikes me as another reason folk might want to remain anonymous on UKC btw - the idea that some goober is out there taking screenshots to share via (other) social media.  </tinfoil hat>

Paul Sagar 14 May 2019

I'm offended not to have been featured.

John2 14 May 2019

Smoked salmon blinis are a thing. A Bellini (not belini) is a peach flavoured cocktail.

removed user 14 May 2019

Hey one of those is me! Cheeky f*ckers! 

View this page in Incognito mode https://www.instagram.com/best_of_ukc/

slab_happy 15 May 2019

> The account - which is not run by any UKC staff members

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspiciouslySpecificDenial

simoninger 15 May 2019
In reply to John2:

That and the under-educated approach to apostrophes made me suspect the poster isn't quite so cultivated as they are making out.

Blake 15 May 2019

Too late... you said the phrase 'social media' online... 'they' will be watching you now. Best bust out the foil hat and start collecting and storing your urine and old newspapers. 

ianstevens 15 May 2019

> I'm interested in reading the funniest bits on UK logbooks.

> But the constant invitation to turn on social media cookies is just not worth it. I don't want, FB, Twitter, Instagram etc all following me.

> So I'm afraid I shall just have to pass for the moment.

> Might be nice as a UKC feature though - Photo of the month => Best logbook comment of the month?

You're using social media. Every single website with adverts on uses cookies. There are many, many reasons to avoid the Facebook-owned outlets, but this is not really a valid one.

full stottie 15 May 2019

I don't get the bit about Edmund Hillary being British climbing's greatest export. He was born in New Zealand. 

gooberman-hill 15 May 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

Yeah - I know. I work in data science (disclaimer - engineering not people), I wrote our company GDPR policy. I put up with a limited amount. But FB are just plain evil.

gooberman-hill 15 May 2019
In reply to Blake:

Ooh - I'll end up on #best_of_UKC by reporting ascents while wearing my tinfoil hat.

Smelly Fox 15 May 2019

> I'm interested in reading the funniest bits on UK logbooks.

> But the constant invitation to turn on social media cookies is just not worth it. I don't want, FB, Twitter, Instagram etc all following me.

> So I'm afraid I shall just have to pass for the moment.

> Might be nice as a UKC feature though - Photo of the month => Best logbook comment of the month?

I’ve never understood why people are bothered about this surveillance bs. Unless you have something to hide who cares. I doubt the Chinese government, GCHQ or Mossad are bothered in the slightest about what I post on the internet, or what I look at. Plus, you get spammed by adverts anyway, so what’s the difference if they’re targeted.

To the OP - It’d be cool to see what routes they are referring to (or am I missing something).

gravy 15 May 2019
In reply to Smelly Fox:

You've hit the nail on the head - problem is you missed the point that we all have something to hide (unless you'd be happy with a total stranger turning up at your front door to rummage through your sock drawer).

Personally I also object to the commodification of my privacy - something I suspect annoys many.

climber34neil 15 May 2019
In reply to John2:

Good lord, I'm so ashamed , I'll have my man servant dismissed immediately, explains why Cynthia has been keeping a low profile recently

Smelly Fox 15 May 2019
In reply to gravy:

Yeah I see your point. And somewhat hypocritically, I draw the line at these voice activated devices. I wouldn't have one in the house.

I'm not prepared to go out of my way to hide my internet footprint though, life is too short, if anyone cares enough to dig, more fool them!

And if someone wants to rummage through my sock drawer, can they please do me a favour and organise them into pairs...

Misha 16 May 2019
In reply to Smelly Fox:

You'd be surprised, GCHQ etc are most interested in your logbook and whether you found such and such route hard or went for such and such crimp with your right or left hand, not to mention what gear you placed, what or whom you found at the top of the route and, above all, whether you got sandbagged by your friends.

tlouth7 16 May 2019
In reply to Misha:

> You'd be surprised, GCHQ etc are most interested in your logbook

So which route names are most likely to get you on a GCHQ watchlist?

Misha 16 May 2019
In reply to tlouth7:

Anarchist?

There’s a separate thread there...

Post edited at 10:37
 thepodge 16 May 2019

For those that say they have nothing to hide... I assume you are happy to post your bank details, passwords and key codes in the next few replies on this thread. 

Its not about what kind of pron you've been looing at, it can be (but isnt always) way more complex and darker than that.

gooberman-hill 16 May 2019
In reply to tlouth7:

Well, there are at least 10 routes in the UKC logbooks called Jihad - so any of those should do it. But there must be some route with a more amusing name.

Or maybe one of the highball bouldering routes on Plymouth Hoe on the walls of the Royal Citadel (still a military base)? I seem to remember Ken Palmer being arrested for climbing an arete there back in the late 90's. The marines were not amused...

Steve

Blake 16 May 2019
In reply to thepodge:

having a cookie or tracking code dropped in your browser is a little different to exposing sensitive information like bank details though right..? Basically almost nothing online works without having a cookie dropped.

farmus21 29 May 2019
In reply to tlouth7:

The reply must surely be Totalitarian (E1 5c) on Raven Crag, Thirlmere!?

Actually, that whole crag would get you on a McCarthyist watchlist. 

PaulJepson 29 May 2019

One of my favourites is on Two Fingers (6a)

"Fell into the crevice and landed in a bush, dnf...."

Don't know why but it tickled me.

Hillseeker 30 May 2019

Not strictly logbook entry but very amusing post some years ago penned by @French Erick I believe where his dog ends up shagging a goose as he strives to keep his wife happy....

... something like that anyway! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...